S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesnt sound like valve cuz it kind like mentallic noise coming out under the center console
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM

There is a rattle when going in reverse up the a hill, I think its the clutch but....
Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

A new metallic rattle has sprung up. 101K 04 unmodified.

Around 7k only under full throttle do I get the rattle. It almost sounds like a heat shield or something looser than usual. Only thing that has changed is it's now a lot cooler out.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM

DC Sports header, Tanabe exhaust, Comptech supercharger... This thing rattles like nobodys business at low RPMs, both accelerating and decelerating. Ah well, the whine of the supercharger drowns out a lot of it.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:10 PM

It sounds like there are coins or something behind the drivers seat somewhere, sliding around. It sounds like it would be in the secret compartment, but I've checked there and everywhere else back there. It happens when I take a corner at speed. It's very annoying not being able to find it. Any solution anyone may have for me?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I guess I should consider myself lucky that the only rattles on my ’00 are the top latches (easy fix) and some clutch buzz.

Seems strange to have so many rattles and squeaks from a Honda; my ‘98 Accord that I just sold had none and my wife’s ’97 CR-V (with 170k) has none.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by phaphapho
i had my wife poke around in the back of the car while we drove home from eating tonight and she determined that an annoying squeak that i have coming from the rear actually comes from where the rear glass window connects to the top in the lower driver's side corner. anyone know anything about this?
i think i have the same thing in the same area. Only makes noise sometimes, but when it does, its a really obnoxious squeek.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my O2 sensors was loose (not the one that connects to the cat). Was going to look at my TP and found that one of the sensors was loose, probably the shops fault as they left other parts loose.. Jackasses. Why I dont trust most shops to touch my wife..
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM

except from the soft top and hardtop latches that rattle i recently noticed something really weird.two days ago i was driving on a good road( no bumps etc) and suddenly i heard a noise coming exactly in front of the right wheel like i hit something or like something was detached from the car and fell of.the sound was like when you drive over sand and the car throws it under the fender but more solid like a bigger item was carried form the wheels and continued until the middle of the car.i put in reverse and there is nothing on the road.i thought that maybe a bolt or similar object was on the road and i run over it and it was carried but still i couldn't find anything.today while almost stationery (first gear 6km/h) i hear a really loud hit under the middle of the car(yes hit because it sounded like i run over a huge rock and the rock hit under the car) or again like something fell of the car and the road was super clean. i immediately check my mirrors to see if anything fell of but there was nothing.the weirdest of all??i get home and open the hood and i see next to the stock air box a washer.i cant tell if the sounds were irrelevant but you never no... i don't know what these two sounds are and i am very concerned.how on earth can a sound(hit) from under the car can give me a washer next to the stock air box.
any suggestions on what these two sounds were and especially the second one?
Name:  20120325_210548.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  40.3 KB

actions taken?
checked if everything is attached(battery, heat shield and almost everything that is attached around the engine and on the car chassis .(nothing missing or loose)
tomorrow i am jacking the car to hopefully find anything suspicious.

notice:the car was washed the day before the second sound and i am sure there wasn't a washer laying around because i take my time on cleaning the engine bay.
second notice:a month ago i had a really bad luck due to my misinformation.Honda installed an oil filter that was not appropriate for the S (15400 -RBA-F01 for Honda Jazz because they dont have PCX for the S) and the oil filter got really loose( high pressure i guess) causing in oil drainage and car losing almost all of the oil.thankfully nothing happened to the engine .maybe the hot oil loosened something?
Sorry for my bad english, and my long story. I dont trust Honda mechanics from that point and i am not a mechanic and where else can i get better opinions than here.
thank you for your understanding ,Andreas
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey guys... 08 S2K CR, 9800 miles, all stock.

I was driving into work today (temp = low 40F or so) and I noticed a rattle around 3000-5000RPM range. I think it's coming from the engine bay or under the car, hard to tell and I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to really poke around yet but it sounds like something is rattling around, almost like a loose bolt or something that needs to be tightened down. I tried to replicate the sound while parked in neutral but it doesn't do it, it only occurs under load. Additionally, after 5000RPM, I don't hear the rattle, only a light rattle from 3000 to 4000RPM, then more noticible from 4000-5000rpm.

I don't think it's anything major, the engine still sounds as it always does, but it's definitely bugging the hell out of me . I'm going to try to look around later when I get home but I'm open to ideas/suggestions if anyone has them. Thanks!