S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough idle, valve noise

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rough idle, valve noise

Thanks to all the techies at S2ki for helping me. This is a project carried over from this thread.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14545512
I made a new thread because this is a separate problem. perhaps the possible cause to my first engines failure

Car has 01 ecu 2.2 engine installed now, p&p 1 mil oversize valves. after many many problems.

The engine began tapping after 30 minutes of use, Then blinking cel. I pulled the valve cover and found that they had left the little metal rocker holders on there. (they hold the individual rocker assemblies together) they are not ment to be in the engine.

After removing these holders I gap the rockers and there is still tapping.
I pull the different coil packs and determine misfire in cyl 4. I switch the coils around still cyl 4. It shudders badly after bliping the throttle. constantly taps, but does not idle bad until it gets to hot idle, (the lower rpm idle)
I figure with the rocker holders on there, I must have bent a valve.
I get the car towed back to the shop that installed the engine.
They do a leakdown and a compression test the car passes both.
All the plugs are badly blackened.
They have to clean the plugs 3 times while its there.
they gap all valves to tightest tolerance to rid the noise, no avail.

The Last engine met a mysterious demise... after 3k miles of ownership I got Rough idle, then cyl 4 a valve dropped. but no flashing cel. intake manifold had tons of oil in it. and the cylinders were burnt.
Shitty used car dealer denied warranty repair. 2 months left on his warranty, claimed overrev.

Maybe the problem is still around?
Fuel injectors? I suppose ill get them flow tested after the source of tapping is found.
Could lean conditions cause this? i noticed my temp go above the middle on the way home when i was not pushing it at all.

I also read the thread about the part numbers on the injectors being different (i have the old style). I read about people changing out their injectors, fixing their problem.
My intake manifold looked similar to the posted photos on that thread Injectors replaced he had oil allover his injectors as well.

What is the tapping noise? sounds like cyl 3 or 4
Car runs misfire codes for more than one cyl.

Shop who built engine will tow it back monday and will tear it down. either way they owe me for incorrectly installing cams and leaving rocker holders.

Any Insight/ advice or Personal experience with tapping and rough idle will help
Thank you.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:-(