S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Royal Purple VS. Mobil 1

Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Just relax man, i thank the person who linked the oil FAQ because that was actually helpful to the topic at hand.

This world is full of opinions, NO one does everything ONLY based upon facts. And UTH is definitely NOT facts only....should it be? maybe, but its not something to cry over. If i were to apply what you say i could pick apart 99% of the threads here since it's all member hearsay and opinion. This isn't an essay where people have to be from the manufacturer or have a works cited to let us all know where they got their information from, just so they can post it up.

It's not like your first post of "whichever works better for your application" was any better. That's pretty much the broadest answer you can give. That link should have been posted up a long time ago. I am personally new here, so i wasn't aware of the link's existence...but i can only speak for myself...Anyway, this isn't my thread, so i'm done, my apologies to the OP for all the clutter.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,May 22 2007, 10:59 PM
Just relax man, i thank the person who linked the oil FAQ because that was actually helpful to the topic at hand.
I'm relaxed and I did thank the person that posted the Oil Journals FAQ. I don't get excited about stuff on the internet...maybe I should?

That link should have been posted up a long time ago.
But guys like me, that would have posted that very link to the Oil Journals then get criticized because someone wants "new data" or some crazy sh!t like that. Conversely, I say that because you're "new" here you should have read that link a long time ago.

It's not like your first post of "whatever is good for your application" was any better. That's pretty much the broadest answer you can give.
But that's actually the BEST answer I could give him. I'm not about to tell him to avoid M1, because in his particular application it might work really well. This guy was smart enough to narrow his oil choices down from hundreds to just two, and out of those two he didn't indicate the weights that he was considering. Telling him to use the best one for his application is great advice based on the options that he listed.

Now lets all get along and talk about something else, this is just motor oil after all.

For the record, if any one oil deserves to be over analyzed and discussed it should be the fluid in the differential of the S2000. That takes a much more serious beating, isn't filtered, and the differential holds less than a quart of oil. Plus, many times the differential doesn't get changed with the regular frequency that motor oil does, so what little oil is in the diff really gets put through the wringer. <--sorry for the pun
Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start reading here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ look for the charts for both oils and you can see for yourself, also they have a good forum dedicated to oil. I personally choose not to use RP or Mobil1, I change oil every 6 months or about 4000 miles and choose to run a mix of dino oil and high mileage oils. My makeup oil is a "SynBlend" of what ever brand of oil that I am using. That is what lets me sleep well at night and that is good enough for me. To each his own, but don't forget just use a quality oil and appropriate OCIs for your style of driving and conditions and you really can't go wrong, also check your oil levels on a weekly basis until you learn your burn off rate and add more until your next change.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
VAD

Mobil 1 UOA's:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...ge=0#Post889568

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...ge=1#Post881151

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...ge=3#Post866711

RP UOA's:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...true#Post743256

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...true#Post255700

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...true#Post251885
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,May 22 2007, 11:38 PM
Ask the majority of M1 users why they use M1 and they'll echo what is being stated in this thread. It's cheap, it's easy to find, and finally, "they use it in race cars, so it must be good enough" etc. etc. That's hardly a good reason to use ANYTHING let alone engine oil, with that logic shouldn't we all buy the absolute cheapest dino oil we could find and change it based on the intervals stated in the manual (after all, Honda seems to think that's good enough)?
I trust Honda more than anything I read on the internet, period

<-- Valvoline or Castrol GTX 10W-30 every 3000-4000 miles
Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Royal Purple all the way!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, I also forgot one of the other reasons why I change my oil as often as I do. It's somewhat funny to see the tightwads go ballistic when I post about babying my car.

It's hardly any effort compared to the work some people put into convincing me I should cheap out more because it makes them look like they know what they're talking about.

My money. My car. You don't like how I use either one, it's your aneurysm, not mine. And if your brain explodes, it's not my problem.

Show me proof that changing my oil more often actually harms my car, I just might quit. Until then, I'll feel free to change it whenever I get tired of the color.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

There's a point where the small incremental risk of screwing something up in overdoing maintenence outweighs the benefits. This is taken into account in development of servicing and inspection intervals for aircraft.