S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Making a click or clange noise

Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Making a click or clange noise

Hello everybody. Great site to be a part of.
If anyone can help me out. My S2000 is making a clicking or clanging noise. To me it sounds like a rotation noise coming from the passenger rear. It has been doing slow speed and eventually goes away. Now it has been doing at normal driving speed. The noise comes and goes. Some people say it can be my axle. Let me first say i do have a stage 5 clutch. I heard an after market clutch can make noise. I would have thought that noise would come from underneath the car instead of the passenger right rear. i put my car on a jack stand and looked at both axles and they both look fine. i was told sometimes they look fine but still be messed up. Can anybody please help me with this.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by s2kcc
Hello everybody. Great site to be a part of.
If anyone can help me out. My S2000 is making a clicking or clanging noise. To me it sounds like a rotation noise coming from the passenger rear. It has been doing slow speed and eventually goes away. Now it has been doing at normal driving speed. The noise comes and goes. Some people say it can be my axle. Let me first say i do have a stage 5 clutch. I heard an after market clutch can make noise. I would have thought that noise would come from underneath the car instead of the passenger right rear. i put my car on a jack stand and looked at both axles and they both look fine. i was told sometimes they look fine but still be messed up. Can anybody please help me with this.

when it's on the jack did you try shaking the wheel vigorously to see if it moved any? That's the first thing I would do to eliminate the possibility of a bad bearing, could also be some of the brake hardware that came loose (what happened to mine)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM

Sounds eerily like it's a differential problem and what you may be hearing is the failure of the pinion. It happened to me like 3 months leading up to my diff grenading itself last Sept, 2012. My S had about 78k miles when it started. The sound described by the OP is similar to what I was hearing . When the clicking first started, it was so subtle that I couldn't hear it over the road noise and stereo at normal levels. Then on a drive home from work, I forgot to turn on stereo and heard it. No matter what speed:slow, medium, or fast speeds it was noticeable and progessively got worse. I went through the checklist: axle, bearing, old tires, worn aftermarket brake pads vibrating in caliper with original rotors, etc., etc. I knew it wasn't the axle vibration problem because I installed spacers in May, 2012 to remedy that. Changed pads, rotors, and rear tires, but the sound was still there.

Just sharing my experience and hope the OP gets to the bottom of it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

a single click could be from the axle tsb needing to be performed. If its clicking more than one time then i'd guess the diff is on its way out