S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Go back to Honda MTF, your tranny might like a thinner fluid. Nothing wrong with the Amsoil but some trannies work better with certain fluids and it is often viscosity related. I know how it feels to have the 2nd gear crunch, I absolutely hated it when I first got the car. I was lucky enough to get rid of it on my car.

The last thing I will suggest is that sometimes the hand works faster than the leg/foot, particularly on the S2000. With the arm and hand being so close to the shifter on the S2000 you can end up moving the shifter before your foot fully disengages the clutch. It is a very subtle thing and a fraction of a second makes all the difference. Make sure your foot has fully disengaged the clutch before you move the shifter. This is often why a clutch rod freeplay adjustment can help with shifting as it helps to push in the clutch rod quicker by closing up the freeplay clearance.

Lastly, you should treat each shift as a two-part motion - like snick-snick, rather than one abrupt single motion. A bit more time during the shifting process can help in lower speed under 5k rpm shifts.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

[QUOTE=fullleather;24518038]
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
People say not to skip shift with the s2k trans. Also, Ferraris have this thing called torque, which was an afterthought with this car it seems.[/QU

The torque is nothing to do with it.......Have you tried driving along at 30mph in 6th gear? itll happily do it although the moment you go any lower it does indeed need 5th.
These folk who suggest no skip-shift, are you seriously telling me that you'd be going along at say 50mph in 6th waiting to overtake but then going to 5th then 4th and finally 3rd? not a chance, you blip the throttle to rev match.....and you're on your way.

Torque has a lot to do with how a car is driven.

For a 6 to 4 downshift....I clutch in. then row to 5th, and then row to 4th before letting the clutch out. I never go from 6th to 4th.

Not to be like...meticulous about my trans. But its just a more natural set of movements, I guess.

To comfortably go from 1st to 3rd if you're accelerating normally, you'd need to go to like 6K in 1st and then shift to 3rd (because of lack of torque) by like...making this weird movement with your hand. And...no...that's not a good thing to do to a trans.

What's the point, bruv?

And the car will happily do 30 in 6th if you're driving on a flat surface at an absolutely constant pace. It'll more happily cruise in 4th at that speed...
Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
When was the last transmission fluid change? What weight Amsoil?
Less than 6 months ago. I think there's only one weight (5W30)

[QUOTE=arsenal;24518244]
Originally Posted by fullleather

I suggest you do a bit of research on skip-shifting and the S2000
One of the first threads I've read in regards to 2nd is to not skip shift.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
May I suggest an alternative version of the Ferrari Technique? The variation is to avoid skip shift upshifts (because lack of grunt, because bad for syncros, and because bad idea to lug a cold engine).

Drive it like normal until it warms up and the issue goes away, and just deal with the crunchy shift into second until then.

The only thing this doesn't solve that the Ferrari technique does is easing the minds of those that just spent a considerable sum on a car, and feel it shouldn't have such rude manners.
I just double clutch into 2nd. I can't bear crunching 2nd lol - the crunch feels like it causes alot of wear on 2nd

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Go back to Honda MTF, your tranny might like a thinner fluid. Nothing wrong with the Amsoil but some trannies work better with certain fluids and it is often viscosity related. I know how it feels to have the 2nd gear crunch, I absolutely hated it when I first got the car. I was lucky enough to get rid of it on my car.

The last thing I will suggest is that sometimes the hand works faster than the leg/foot, particularly on the S2000. With the arm and hand being so close to the shifter on the S2000 you can end up moving the shifter before your foot fully disengages the clutch. It is a very subtle thing and a fraction of a second makes all the difference. Make sure your foot has fully disengaged the clutch before you move the shifter. This is often why a clutch rod freeplay adjustment can help with shifting as it helps to push in the clutch rod quicker by closing up the freeplay clearance.

Lastly, you should treat each shift as a two-part motion - like snick-snick, rather than one abrupt single motion. A bit more time during the shifting process can help in lower speed under 5k rpm shifts.
Might have to try oe fluid next year! So you basically eliminated the crunch by adjusting your shifting method?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Notchy shifting is pretty normal. Is the gear grinding? Or is it just feedback through the shifter?
I get notchiness in 3rd and 4th, which doesn't bother me as it makes no noise. 2nd is different.. It's like it doesn't quite catch the gear and causes a slight grinding noise in the trans.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a MY00 transmission where many were produced with problems that affect shifting primarily 1 to 2. There was a TSB back then and transmissions were removed and serviced supposedly to correct a 'stacking tolerance problem'. Many found the fix inadequate, including myself, where a number of people I knew sold their cars in frustration and swore off the brand.

I my case I tried numerous lubricants, clutches, and shifting techniques without luck. I was finally able to replace my '00 transmission with one from an '02 model and it transformed the car. The box from the later car is a day and night difference shifting perfectly without fail and helped me decide to keep the car.

From my experience there is no answer to fix these early transmissions short of replacement.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When you shift into 1st from a stop, and you wait long enough for all spinning parts to slow down after you press the clutch, does it move smoothly into 1st?
No clunck showing you some parts were still spinning - when you assume they weren't - and they clunck-to-a-stop?
And do the same into 2nd, into 2nd from a stop.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:41 PM

So I slowed down my 1st to 2nd shift as recommended by some. I now apply slight pressure and wait for the tranny to fall into 2nd. No more grinds, but it is quite slow causing RPMs to drop below optimal.
Will continue with this method and work on my shifting technique.

Thanks everyone, hopefully this thread helps anyone else new to the S2K in the future.