S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weak clutch pedal - bleeding or worn slave cyl?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weak clutch pedal - bleeding or worn slave cyl?

Since my bicycle accident last year where I busted my wrist I haven't driven my S very much. Last October was the last time and now that spring snuck up on me I'm feeling being the gun a bit/.

I had forgotten about a clutch issue I started to have just before my accident. The clutch pedal is week and needs to be pumped several times before there's enough pressure. I don't know if the clutch needs to be bled or if the slave cylinder is not working properly or how to tell which. Do I bleed the clutch and see what happens and if I still have the problem change the slave cylinder or is there another way?

The reservoir that holds the clutch fluid is full but with some murkiness (using Super Blue fluid but a lighter color liquid also appears). Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start by checking behind the clutch pedal where it goes through the firewall to the reservoir. It seems to be a common problem with the CMC leaking on the inside of the car and dripping on the carpet. If that is all nice and clean/dry then check the slave cylinder to see if that is leaking. If both of those look good then I guess a good bleed and refill with clean fluid would be the next step since you said your fluid is dirty. Dirty fluid alone should not cause a low/weak pedal. That should only occur when there is air in the system or your fluid level is too low (which would let air on once it gets low enough anyway).
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Can't seem to find any leaks but I seem to remember that the top to the reservoir wasn't put on tight enough a couple of yrs ago and after that it was low on fluid but never empty. That's most likely what the problem is. Time to bleed the clutch. Now to find a 1-man bleeder kit...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO its important to remove the slave from the trans and point the bleeder upwards - with a clear hose attached.
Then open the bleeder and push the piston back into the slave as fas as it goes, watch the dirt and bubbles escaping through the tube.
(use the push rod to push it in, your hands will be black!)
Keep the piston in and close the bleeder.
Now let the piston slowly come back out - your basically pumping fluid out of the reservoir into your waste container through the slave.
That's a one-man-job

With a full reservoir you can pump (piston in + bleeder open, bleeder closed + piston out) twice before running kinda low on fluid.
So do not forget to TOP UP, better sooner than later.

Also, be carefull to not let the piston pop out the slave when you fill up the reservoir.
I used shop towel and rubber bands, wrapped around etc to keep it in, so you have to prepare, have stuff at the ready.
(here an extra set of hands would be very helpfull: topping up the reservoir)
The spring in the slave wants to push that piston out..... and the fresh fluid makes it easier too.

Clean up the push rod, sand & polish the ball end(s), apply thick waterproof grease on both ball shaped ends.
Put some grease in the fork's cup and a little on its fingers in the throwout groove and put the slave back.
Your clutch will be like new.
The pedal should follow your foot (releasing the clutch) without any crunch or hesitation.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Spitfire, damn good idea on one man bleeding! Sounds as if you've done it once or twice. Sure beets the crap of asking the wife! LOL THANKS!