S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

All of the fun is in the gearbox

Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I have to wonder how many of you have driven a modern car with a ZF eight speed automatic? I recommend you try one. I test drove an 235i with the automatic and almost bought it. They dealer had no manuals, so I just based my decision on my old car's manual. I think if I had driven the same model vehicle with both trannies, I would have selected the automatic. The automatic version of the car is much faster in most real world situations. With adjustable shift modes, you can tune it to whatever you like. When a car goes that fast, you are plenty engaged, believe me.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I have to wonder how many of you have driven a modern car with a ZF eight speed automatic? I recommend you try one. I test drove an 235i with the automatic and almost bought it. They dealer had no manuals, so I just based my decision on my old car's manual. I think if I had driven the same model vehicle with both trannies, I would have selected the automatic. The automatic version of the car is much faster in most real world situations. With adjustable shift modes, you can tune it to whatever you like. When a car goes that fast, you are plenty engaged, believe me.
My Alfa has the ZF 8HP and I thoroughly enjoy it, zero issues/complaints. Paddles for when you want to play around, auto for when you don't.

After I broke my left leg a few years back I appreciated having a DD with an auto transmission, with the progress that's been made now I don't see going back to a manual on a new car.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Add the upcoming mid-engine Corvette to the list of models that will cease offering a manual, per this article on the upcoming 'Vette from Hagerty.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...esday_March_12

So once the F/R version is discontinued--which will happen based on ongoing demand--America's Sports Car will be dual clutch automatic only.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Add the upcoming mid-engine Corvette to the list of models that will cease offering a manual, per this article on the upcoming 'Vette from Hagerty.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...esday_March_12

So once the F/R version is discontinued--which will happen based on ongoing demand--America's Sports Car will be dual clutch automatic only.
Gee, I thought I said that way back on March 11th. I have not read the article yet but the people who cling to the front engine/rear wheel drive/manual transmission are for the most part a very aging population. Corvette needs to make something that teenagers want to post on the walls of their bedrooms, if they expect to continue. The word is the new C8 will be in production and available with the next year. But, what's after that? The mid-engine can't be raced at say LeMans until 2020 at the earliest. The mid-engine Vette has been in the planning pipeline for over 60 years by those true believers who fight at GM for something better. I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric in the near future - maybe with a manual transmission.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 AM
tof

Originally Posted by dlq04
Gee, I thought I said that way back on March 11th. I have not read the article yet but the people who cling to the front engine/rear wheel drive/manual transmission are for the most part a very aging population. Corvette needs to make something that teenagers want to post on the walls of their bedrooms, if they expect to continue. The word is the new C8 will be in production and available with the next year. But, what's after that? The mid-engine can't be raced at say LeMans until 2020 at the earliest. The mid-engine Vette has been in the planning pipeline for over 60 years by those true believers who fight at GM for something better. I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric in the near future - maybe with a manual transmission.
You expect me to remember what you wrote two days ago? (I know I read it. Or at least I think I must have. What day is it?)
According to the Hagerty article, C8 may bow as soon as next fall as a 2020 model. A hybrid version is expected soon after, with the motor eliminating the space in the front trunk "for two golf bags." Can a full electric be far behind? I hear those one-speed manuals are easy to operate if the switch is well crafted.

I agree that from a marketing and cost standpoint it makes sense for GM to drop the stick. (Plus NO MORE SKIP SHIFT!) I just hate seeing another nail in the coffin.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
You expect me to remember what you wrote two days ago? (I know I read it. Or at least I think I must have. What day is it?)
According to the Hagerty article, C8 may bow as soon as next fall as a 2020 model. A hybrid version is expected soon after, with the motor eliminating the space in the front trunk "for two golf bags." Can a full electric be far behind? I hear those one-speed manuals are easy to operate if the switch is well crafted.

I agree that from a marketing and cost standpoint it makes sense for GM to drop the stick. (Plus NO MORE SKIP SHIFT!) I just hate seeing another nail in the coffin.
Don't worry Mike. He doesn't remember what he wrote three days ago.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM
tof

Saw that.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

It is not Michigan's fault. You can blame the other states.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/03/i...ck-shifts.html