S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Buying advice for an '02

Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice for an '02

I'm going to look at an '02 Saturday and would like your advice on what to look for. It's 4 1/2 hours one way to see this car and we have agreed on a price presuming the car passes my inspection. The car has 13,750 miles and brand new tires. It's Suzuka blue if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

rx

I have a MY02, and I think that in general you would look for the same kinds of things that you would look for on any car. Heavy wear, signs of abuse and or damage.

One of the model specific things that you want to look for is the auto down driver's window. When the top is lowered, both windows are supposed to lower automatically. On many S2000 this stops happening. This is a known problem and involves replacing the window regulator. Mine stopped working about 2 weeks ago at 7,100 miles. This should be covered under warranty.

You might want to take a close look at the windshield to see if there is major pitting. Because of the "rake" of the S2000 the windshield is prone to this. During your test drive, drive the car directly into the sun. This will make the pitting show up.

The paint on the S2000 seems, for whatever reason, to be prone to chipping. You might want to take a very close look at it, especially on the hood and the front bumper.

Good luck. I hope the car is perfect and you enjoy owning it.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Rob has given you a good summary of advice. A couple of additional thoughts:

*It's also a good idea to check under the hood and see if everything looks squeaky clean, which should be the case with low miles.

*While I'm not an expert, it would also be a good idea to ask a local garage (do you have AAA certified spots out in your 'hood?) to put it up on a lift and give do a visual survey (should not cost more than $30-40) If there's a local Honda dealer, that may also be a good option.

*The owner should have copies of all of his repair receipts for your inspection; you can check for regular oil changes.

*Obviously take it out for a road test on varied conditions, including a chance to VTEC it for a minute or two. One of my favorites is to cruise about 50 mph in...say 4th gear
...and then drop it into 2nd gear/ floor it If the current owner, reacts like this
then it means the car has probably never been VTEC's before...and you're buying a creampuff
Old 11-04-2003, 08:55 PM

I concure with what ralper and paS2K have stated.

I would like to add:
If you are going to drive 4 1/2 hours to check out a good deal on a car, get a CARFAX.

If you are doing the inspection yourself, bring a flashlight and some dirty cloths.
Inspect the undercarriage for bottoming out, scraps, and leaks.
Check the condition of all fluids.
Check the rims, inside and out, look for scratches or other deformations.
Closely look at body panel alignment. All gaps should be aligned and even at all points.
Check paint color matching. Mismatching indicates panel replacement or repainting for some untold reason. Of course, the OEM front lip, front bumper, OEM spoiler and rearview mirrors maybe off a little, don't sweat it, different materials cause the color differences.

Other than that, just look around real carefully. If something looks out of kilter, don't be afraid to ask "why?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:09 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Ask if he had spark plug recall done.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:05 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally posted by NNY S2k
Ask if he had spark plug recall done.

Good idea, but there's a chance that this '02 was one of those that came with the new plugs from the factory. Check the Engine # (do a search and you'll find out the range og '02 engines that have the new plugs already).

JonasM
Old 11-05-2003, 09:37 AM

Great advice! There is one very important thing missing...

Assuming you don't want a car that has been raced, autocrossed, abused, had aftermarket items put on and off, repainted panels, major or frequent repairs, etc., you should put together a list of very direct, carefully worded questions concerning these issues (it helps to memorize the list). When you meet with the seller to see the car, look him/her directly in the eyes and ask your questions. If a question is side-stepped or ignored, ask it a second or third time. Monitor the stress level and pay close attention to body language. You'll be amazed what can be revealed during this process.

And as PWRMKR said, "Drive away if things just don't seem right. Trust your instincts."
Old 11-05-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitestock03
Great advice!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Listen to the clutch for rattles.

Listen to and feel the tranny for smooth first to second shifts.

Listen to the rear end for howling and whining (sounds like my kids).

Listen to and ride in another S with a good engine before you go see this one so you know how it is supposed to sound and feel.

Look for wrench marks on the air box hardware and connections, valve cover, shock towers, etc. This is a sign that the car was modded once and then returned to stock. Make sure the spare is in place.

Also, post a thread in the local area club where this car is located to see if any of our members are familiar with the car. You might even be able to get an experienced guy to meet you there and help you go over the car. I know we would help you in New England if it was around here.

If he took it to the dealer for service, call them and see if they will talk to you.

4 new tires in 13,000 miles means the owner absolutely knows how to Vtec and drive hard. A car that is babied will get 20,000 miles out of the S02s. This isn't a bad thing, I just don't want you to kid yourself. A car that is "beat" will only get 7 to 10,000 from the tires.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
....4 new tires in 13,000 miles means the owner absolutely knows how to Vtec and drive hard.