S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Best Leather treatment

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thread. I am about to have stock seats again, So I'll need to stock up on seat conditioner and cleaner.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good experience with zaino leather in a bottle...not only does it have a good leather smell to it but it does work really well
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM

I've tried a bunch of leather treatments, and non of them seem to bond to the seat - anyone else have this issue? There's a white scrape/mark that I've been trying to get rid of but nothing seems to work. I know part of our seats are vinyl covered, but I can barely get ANY product to stick on ANY part of the seat...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by "bond"? The products don't need to bond. They're not glue.

Leather cleaner and conditioner aren't meant to address scrapes either.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM

It looks like a dry spot that looks like a scrap - maybe it is a scrape... but what I meant by "bond" is that my leather products are not staying on the leather. I don't know how else to describe it - like in my Lexus IS, I just wipe on the product to a dry seat, it get slightly damp but i can notice an improvement visually and by touch. With the S it just goes on and nothing happens - it seems to dry on the surface. I'm not an expert, I'm just looking for help here.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably just soaked into the leather. I think that is what it should do and also where it will do the most good.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by gforgary
It looks like a dry spot that looks like a scrap - maybe it is a scrape... but what I meant by "bond" is that my leather products are not staying on the leather. I don't know how else to describe it - like in my Lexus IS, I just wipe on the product to a dry seat, it get slightly damp but i can notice an improvement visually and by touch. With the S it just goes on and nothing happens - it seems to dry on the surface. I'm not an expert, I'm just looking for help here.
what a lot of people miss here is that s2k seats are heavily finished leather, it isn't an analine leather that has open pores to absorb the products like you might see on a nice leather jacket, or some very high end luxury cars. ap1 seats are worse than ap2 seats in that regard as well, ap2 seats are a bit better. Most of the products will not absorb through the leather as the leather is coated as part of the finishing process. I emailed Lexol about that and they confirmed that their product won't absorb into this type of leather seat. It tends to get into the seat through peforation holes, and seams/stitched area, but it doesn't soak through the leather per se. So many of the products that talk about "feeding" the leather , don't really work that great on our seats. I know I can put a drop of water on my seat and it will sit there for hours without absorbing into the leather. The leather treatment products do pretty much the same, they will dry though but they basically sit on the surface of the seat. I still use them as it is the best we can do with what we have and it is important to keep the seats clean.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by gforgary' timestamp='1314203948' post='20909203
what a lot of people miss here is that s2k seats are heavily finished leather, it isn't an analine leather that has open pores to absorb the products like you might see on a nice leather jacket, or some very high end luxury cars. ap1 seats are worse than ap2 seats in that regard as well, ap2 seats are a bit better. Most of the products will not absorb through the leather as the leather is coated as part of the finishing process. I emailed Lexol about that and they confirmed that their product won't absorb into this type of leather seat. It tends to get into the seat through peforation holes, and seams/stitched area, but it doesn't soak through the leather per se. So many of the products that talk about "feeding" the leather , don't really work that great on our seats. I know I can put a drop of water on my seat and it will sit there for hours without absorbing into the leather. The leather treatment products do pretty much the same, they will dry though but they basically sit on the surface of the seat. I still use them as it is the best we can do with what we have and it is important to keep the seats clean.
Thank you JFUSION - this is exactly what I was looking for - If it's so heavy coated I'm going to try spot treating with 303 and see what happens =)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by gforgary
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1314244629' post='20911343
[quote name='gforgary' timestamp='1314203948' post='20909203']
Thank you JFUSION - this is exactly what I was looking for - If it's so heavy coated I'm going to try spot treating with 303 and see what happens =)
[/quote]

yeah let it soak for a while before you try to wipe it off, 303 should be good, if that doesnt work try a dedicated seat cleaning product from Lexol or even Autoglym, they seem to work well if used as directed.