Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Need to replace Head Gasket :(

Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, Burning oil at track with huge clouds of smoke is fairly common if you don't have dual catch cans setup or the pcv deleted/clamped off for track
Old 04-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you get a bluish colour out the back at the track it could be from hard cornering unless it's all the time when you're on it . Do you have a catch can?
Couple things id do is after driving on that oil for a bit, change it and get an oil analysis to see if there is coolant in the oil. You can also pull your oil fill cap and look under it for a milky film but that won't give the full story. Also pull your rad cap to check for oil in your coolant and also check the coolant reservoir while you're at it.

If these results come back ok then I doubt it's your head gasket
Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do the valve adjustment as all 06+ should be (most of them have tight valves)?
No I did not. I do not have a catch can either.

I have never had smoke come out at the track before. It only happened when I was pressing hard on it, not just leisurely driving around.

I appreciate the suggestions related to the cause for the smoke but how do you explain the oil on the outside of my motor? Its black oil at the front of the engine (front of the car?).
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CR EH
Did you do the valve adjustment as all 06+ should be (most of them have tight valves)?
No I did not. I do not have a catch can either.

I have never had smoke come out at the track before. It only happened when I was pressing hard on it, not just leisurely driving around.

I appreciate the suggestions related to the cause for the smoke but how do you explain the oil on the outside of my motor? Its black oil at the front of the engine (front of the car?).
Could have been spilled. Clean it off and see if it returns before taking drastic measures.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The front side of the engine only has the timing chain in that area, there are no oil passages that run to the head. It could be oil weeping out of the head or by the gasket. I think every s2000 does this to some degree. Check the torque on the two allen head bolts that hold the head to the block.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
The front side of the engine only has the timing chain in that area, there are no oil passages that run to the head. It could be oil weeping out of the head or by the gasket. I think every s2000 does this to some degree. Check the torque on the two allen head bolts that hold the head to the block.
^^ This.

It was happening on my AP1, I tightened the bolts slightly (I mean just enough to budget it 1/32 of a turn) and the weeping stopped permanently. It's a common issue. I believe there's a post about.

A lot of good information already posted, post up some pictures.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Check Pcv as well
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM

The front side of the engine only has the timing chain in that area, there are no oil passages that run to the head. It could be oil weeping out of the head or by the gasket. I think every s2000 does this to some degree. Check the torque on the two allen head bolts that hold the head to the block
Wow that would be amazing, I will definitely check that out!

I love this forum.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I concur with everything said above.

There are a whole bunch of things, any one of them can cause your symptoms.

They should to be checked and eliminated before suspecting the head gasket.

Go for the cheap simple stuff first.

Best o' luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM

My 08 with 75k kms on it I just picked up also has oil sweating at the head gasket. I am having Speedstar pull the head and change it as well as inspect the head along with a valvejob since the valves have never been adjusted before. In the threads about 06+ there is mention of some cases of burnt exhaust valves, so I definitely want to get this done.

Quick Reply: Need to replace Head Gasket :(