Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

new member/porsche driving experience

Old 06-11-2001, 03:21 PM
ACB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member/porsche driving experience

Just got my Black/Red s2000 and am new to this group. I got a note on my car from Aaron to hit the site and I'm impressed with the content and the group of Austin folks on the site. I look forward to watching the boards and contributing where possible.

On a separate note, I just got back from the two day porsche driving experience at road atlanta. Other than taking a hazing for being the only non-porsche owner at the school(and returning the hazing about overpaying too much for a race car), it was an incredible experience. You get to drive 2001 carrera's for two days on the track and treat them like rental cars. My instructor was Hurley Haywood (for those non-racing fans, Hurley is an american racing legend) and I got a bunch of one-on-one instruction from him. They have lead-follow exercises where you follow right behind the instructor around the track. At one point down the back straight away, we were going about 135mph and I was two feet off Hurley's bumper. Man, what a rush. Anyway, I can't say enough about how great the course was. I've been to Skip Barber's three day race school at Laguna Seca but there you drive REAL race cars, so you don't get a feel for road cars and driving them on a track/autocross. Anyone been to either course?
Old 06-11-2001, 03:36 PM

I think I saw you driving down Lamar yesterday. I was in a yellow.

Anyway, there is a post a few threads below this one about a track event coming up in September that some of us are going to. We also get together just to have drinks, eat dinner, go for hill country drives, etc... so keep watching this forum.

Glad to have you aboard.

Kirk
Old 06-12-2001, 10:06 AM

Hey captain, I think that was me you saw yesterday on lamar around MLK (black/red). I was heading south. I think I saw you again later around Wells Branch (unless there were two yellows out yesterday about the same time).

I have always wanted to try go to one of those schools. Anybody have any recommendations for the "best bang for your buck" school?

I'm a new member to this page and I really enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:42 AM

Well, I actually saw three black ones or I guess one was you twice. I saw another black one a bit further up Lamar after I saw you and then I guess you saw me again later because I was in the Wells Branch area.

The event that is going on in Sept will be a great one so I would get on the waiting list now if you want to get in.

Keep watchging this forum as we always post when we are getting together and we can discuss this more at one of them.

Kirk