Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Takata Harness question

Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takata Harness question

So I can't seem to get a solid answer on this question. Is it legal to drive with a Takata racing harness on the streets in Texas?

I just ordered by Bride GIAS seat and Takata harness and I would rather not find out the hard way.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Community Organizer

If it's not DOT-approved, it's not legal on the streets...

With that being said, I used to drive around on the streets in my red CRX with a 4-point harness attached to my rollcage (I had completely removed the stock seat belts) and was never hassled by the police for it. As long as you're not doing something stupid, I don't think they'll mess with you -- however, you live in Austin, so things may be different up there.

Ricky
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the solid answer to my question!

Two years ago I was pulled over in my MINI for accelerating quickly. I responded that I try to reach the speed limit as quickly as possible without ever spinning my tires. I didn't break any laws or come near any other cars. The cop, with his hand on his gun (in my very nice neighborhood by the way) tried to give me a ticket for having a set of black Rota Slipstream wheels. Some BS about them being "black". Then he tried to give me a ticket for having non-DOT tail lights. I had to point to the molding in the factory taillights that said "BMW USA.. DOT Certified". He said that I could have modified that myself. How did he know I had that custom plastic moulding machine at home?!! After a bunch of yelling on his part and my calmly wondering why his uncle abused him, he left without being able to give me a ticket for anything. Of course to make him feel better about his small phallice and the fact that his wife left him for a woman, he threatened to give me a bunch of tickets for these things if he ever saw me again.

So it's events like that make me not want to encourage my having to dealing with people who seem to largely choose their line of work based on the ability to get away with acting like a total ass, with a gun no less, I have to be a bit concerned. Why do the dumbest people always have the guns? hmm... that's a mind numbing thought.

Anyways, thanks!!!!