Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Powder Coating - Low Temperature

Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat treating definately changes the molecular properties of ANY metallic object and the use of PC on racing or AX wheels should probably never be attempted, but I have witnessed dozens of PC wheels survive years of AX use with no failures.

Over the years I have cracked more than one set of MiniLites (the originals not the knockoffs) and cracked other wheel manufactured specifically for sportcar racing. On one occassion I literally tore a wheel off of my Lotus Europa right over the lug nuts. These wheels take tremendous loads and are designed for the lateral forces the wheel is expected to endure, but THEY DO FAIL at times just like those referenced in the remarks above.

The set of OEM S2K wheels I was going to purchase and have coated have been taken off of the market so doing the S2K wheels has been put on hold for a month or so.

I am expecting a new set of wheels for my SLK this week and will have them coated as soon as they arrive. I will let all know how the work looks after completion, but from the work in progress in his shop I expect to get a professional PC application for about $40 more than MoZo quoted above for a paint job.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by S2k_MoZo,Apr 12 2010, 12:12 PM
Around $200 for a set of wheels I think...from the last time I checked wit him? Text him, his number is in the resources thread...text and ask him what you are looking for and see what he says...
shop i used to work at said he'll charge me $150 to paint all 4 as long as they dont need to be sand blasted or anything...shop is located in Kaufman, tx though and does the Chevy and Ford house's paint jobs there in kaufman...owner/x-boss of mine is very nice and if anything goes wrong with the wheels be takes full responsibility for it if it was something he did...but that doesnt mean bs him ya know...

if anyone needs a hook up, I got back home to kaufman about once ever 2 wks and I can drop them off and pick them up the next day for like $15 gas money since i'd have to take my truck.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix,Apr 12 2010, 07:28 PM
spray on aircraft remover will easily and safely remove the paint that is already on there. sandblasting is a no-no!

you can EASILY do a pro looking job yourself in your garage if you take your time.
What is aircraft remover, and where do you get it? What's wrong with sand blasting?

I emailed the guy at Crosslink McKinney about powder coating my brother's Volk's, and this was his reply. He mentions blasting them ...

I would have to probably see the wheel in person to know exactly. From
what I can see in the picture it would be an almost impossible job to coat
just the inside, so that would mean the whole wheel would have to be
coated.Generally turnaround is 4-5 days. Cost would depend on the choice of
color. Std colors run around 70-80.00 a wheel for blast and coat. Special
colors could add another 70-150.00 for the set. Let me know if you need more
info.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM

I forgot to tell you that the wheels I wanted him to paint were RPF1's and I wanted the matt black color, that is why he was charging $200!

He actually refinished wheels for a Prelude SH for $20 per wheels I believe. Those wheels had crazy curb rash and nicks and crap...he fixed those for a friend of mine and they looked just like new afterwards.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txchopper5,Apr 12 2010, 06:07 PM
I had a set of OEM AP2V1's that I had powdercoated and ran on them for about 1.5 years, close to the end of ownership i did about 156mph on them at the end of a fairly spirited drive and nothing exploded. The powder coating process is not invasive at all and couldn't possibly do any more damage than paint (IE none at all.)

Powder coat is simply a sort of dry paint that can be electronically charged, so when it is sprayed on a grounded metal part they from an electronic bond (this is why you don't get drips unless you're an idiot because you can't really "over do" it) and then you just heat it to around 400 degrees to liquefy the material and make it bond.
Just because you got away with it does not make it a good idea.

For the people that don't beleive me (a lot of people on the internet don't know what they are talking about and I may be one) e-mail the people that made your wheels and see what they have to say about power coating.

I know a lot of wheel makers power coat their wheels but that is done as part of the mfg. process under very controlled conditions with how fast they heat the wheel, how hot they get and how fast they cool down. All of which can have a big impact on the metal properties. Making it soft or worse for wheels hard and brittle.

edit:

For stock S2K wheels used on the street I would be less concerned because they have a large safety margin designed in (heavy). But I would never power coat light weight aftermarket wheels because they may already be on the edge.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 AM

gernby, i cant quote at work but you can get aircraft remover or paint stripper at walmart in the paint section. i used it to strip my hood. you paint it on with a paint brush and let it sit for (i think) 15 minutes or so

the fumes are very noxious so do it outside, not in your garage or anything. basically once its done its work you just scrape the paint off.

oh, wear gloves. it burns (obviously)
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM

^ can you rinse it out with forced water?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 AM

yes. you might need a few coats to get the piece 100% bare but its easy as hell.

i DO NOT recommend the aerosol spray cans because if there is any wind whatsoever that shit is going to end up getting on your skin.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What volk wheel do you have? Aircraft stripper will not work on Anodized surfaces like the ce28n or TE37.. ive tried it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure which they are, but they came off of Scott P's car.

Quick Reply: Powder Coating - Low Temperature