UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Thinking about a "Super-meet" in 'derestricted zone'

Old 12-16-2001, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I woke in the early hours last night and, whilst lying in the dark and, reflecting on what a great day I'd had at the Abinger meet (and at Cotswolds meet in September), I had the following thoughts...

I felt a bit sorry for the guys from the south-east (given the traffic density and the restrictions that exist down there and the freedom I have on the roads around here) and I thought what if we organised a "Super-meet", a meet to end all meets, one that left time for everyone to savour and enjoy, and that almost everyone could get to?!

What if we arranged a Sat/Sun meet somewhere just to the west of me, in mid-Wales next spring. It's probably not going to be more than 200 miles tops to get there for anyone (and I did that yesterday no probs - and TR did even more, there and back!).

With 20 plus cars, with 2up in each, we could probably get a real good room rate.

Everyone could travel up on the Saturday, then we could have a good meal and a natter and get together in the bar on the Saturday night. Then, on the Sunday, an early rise, good breakfast and then off for some great convoy VTECing, top-down in the sunshine , through the twisties in the deserted Welsh hills. Just imagine the fantastic pics we could get Then a late lunch somewhere, everyone eventually heading home in the afternoon/early evening.

If the weather is good it should be a terrific weekend out for everyone, partners included.... what does everyone think?

Pete
Old 12-16-2001, 03:54 AM

PS

Also thought it would be a great opportunity for the new 2002 owners to give their babies a treat!

Pete
Old 12-16-2001, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]

Everyone could travel up on the Saturday, then we could have a good meal and a natter and get together in the bar on the Saturday night. Then, on the Sunday, an early rise, good breakfast and then off for some great convoy VTECing, top-down in the sunshine , through the twisties in the deserted Welsh hills.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, Mandy and I would love to come along (providing we can get somebody to look after our German Shepherd).
Do you have a specific location in mind.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
Pete, Mandy and I would love to come along (providing we can get somebody to look after our German Shepherd).
Do you have a specific location in mind.
No, not yet. It was just an idea I had. Like Ianl said the problem with yesterday (and the Cotswolds) is that the whole thing is over too soon and there's no time to relax and to have some good quality time out with the cars.

But now I know there's at least three of us interested , I'll start to look as to what we might do and where we could stay.

Pete
Old 12-16-2001, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

count me in - you need to get out of london traffic as much as possible to enjoy
these gorgeous motor cars

Andy

(s2000 30 hours old and counting )

I put my geodesy in this afternoon - I'll post some pics as soon as i find my camera cable!
Old 12-16-2001, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by andylong
count me in - you need to get out of london traffic as much as possible to enjoy these gorgeous motor cars
Andy
You got that right!!

Excellent, that's 4 cars .... and counting

Pete

on the list so far we have :

PWE 896
IanL
Andy Pandy
AndyLong
Old 12-16-2001, 08:00 AM

I'm definitely up for this!

After such a good day yesterday, a longer meet with some proper drinking and driving time (separately) would be wonderful.

Anybody fancy the Nurburgring in the summer as well?

Pete
Old 12-16-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896

Like Ianl said the problem with yesterday (and the Cotswolds) is that the whole thing is over too soon and there's no time to relax and to have some good quality time out with the cars.

But now I know there's at least three of us interested , I'll start to look as to what we might do and where we could stay.

Pete
We've got a problem in that our old springer spaniel is nearing 14 and has his good and bad days now, so we really don't like to leave him if we can help it. Sadly we've got to reluctantly register as unlikely attendees for an overnighter!

For the future, I think a big problem is touched on here. The Cotswolds was great, but the after dinner blast was a bit of a rushed effort given the time of year and failing light. The other big problem is I can only see the numbers attending getting significantly bigger, which of course is good. However, if you recall, it was difficult keeping 17 cars together at the Cotswolds, so any great increase in numbers would increase that problem. I don't know what the answer is, but it's something perhaps we need to address when organising larger meets?
Old 12-16-2001, 08:14 AM

I'm up for it!! Car should be nicely run in and ready to VTEC. Hope the weather is good!

There is a beautiful hotel in Devil's Bridge - just outside Aberytstwyth. Stunning views ideal for a weekend away with the other half, etc etc.

The roads to get there are fantastic. Mountainside roads with 1 mile visabilty ahead so that overtaking is possible even round corners!!

Not bad surface either. Only problem is limited petrol stations on A44 and some will have to pay to go over the bridge.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a "Super-meet" in 'derestricted zone'