UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

advice re: rear arch rust

Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
I don't think mine has these protectors, and round the inside of the arches it feels rubbery. Is that normal? Or is it as I suspect that the previous owner used some kind of extra rust proofing on there?

Still, the paint on my left rear wing is bubbling with signs of rust. I probably should have sorted it out a year ago, but talk of welding in new bits is a little scary.

It's a black plastic strip that clips onto the lip. A lot of people take them off (they're about £10 from a dealer). I hammerited the inside of the lip, and then used silicon grease (didn't have any waxoyl) to help try to seal it from the elements.

The picture of mine above, is actually where the plastic bumper meets the rear arch, the bumper has been pulled away in that pic.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely no lip protectors.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

You need to get that looked at! Thats got pretty bad

Why didn't they just make the wings out of plastic so the couldn't rust! Seems most of the older cars are seeing this happen.

Strange though as I've owned/family owned a good few hot hatch peugeots from the 90's and they just never rust. Honda's on the other hand....
Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JDMs don't have them Dave.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

any welded/localised repair will rust eventually

if you want a really long lasting repair it has to be a new panel

lead loading isn't used by many top quality bodyshops

it was used because coachbuilders back then didn't have plastic fillers, not because it's better than plastic fillers
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Surely you will still possibly have a long term problem with a new rear wing as this is not bolt on but welded! Hence the high cost of replacement for this panel.

The cut out and or repair of the lip and fill weld in will be ultimately depended on the care and process used. One problem being that the lip is a sandwich between the inner wing and the external panel , so a nice shiny wing will also be spot welded or tacked to the inner with welds in the most vulnerable place subject to a shed load of spray, grit and salt from the road

And in any case if there is that much rust in that location and its not as a result of a previous poor repair the rest of the underside of the car is most likely rotten as a pear. I know my car is very rusty in various areas, as a result of poor design and poor painting and treatment by Honda. But then I doubt they are any different from any other manufacturer in that respect, what is the design life of a modern car now. Take a look in a scrap yard most body shells are in fairly good condition its all the Electrics , Freds , and Engines that fail and result in the short trip to the crusher ,not rust any more. Even MB have had lots of problem reported over recent years with corrosion !

A friend has just Hydrolocked her 2 litre BMW 3 series, 6 years old , written off !

I am in the process of stripping the under side of my car and dealing with the corrosion , hopefully will get another 10 years before the crusher calls ! rear subframe is very rusty , as are floor panels just to rear of front wheel arches and to front of rear wheel arches, but this seems mainly to be surface rust and again poor painting in the factory.