UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alarm problem - any ideas?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alarm problem - any ideas?

As per the title my OEM alarm is playing up very sporadically and only seems to play up/go off when I put some thing in the boot - this has only happened twice in the last 3 months with this morning being the most recent just as I am about to leave for work!!

Once is starts going off I am unable to shut it off (didn't have time to disconnect the battery & wait for the ECU to reset as needed to get to work), the hazard lights do not flash, just a deafening high pitch warble of the siren, however, it does stop after about 2-3 mins of repeatedly going off, stopping, resetting, going off again & repeating the loop.

The other thing is that it does not immobilise the car - not sure if it should but I found myself driving to work, roof down to ease the noise of the alarm - thankfully it wasn't raining, I was getting really weird looks as if I had just nicked it & luckily I didn't meet the old bill as I usually do.

My S is stil under extended warranty but not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle of taking it to Honda if it is some thing that I can sort myself with the guidance of you good people.

Is there some kind of sensor in the boot that could cause a bad conection or is this likely to be some thing else?

Thanks in advance
Martin
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Check the wires in the corrugated plastic at the left side of the boot near the hinge - sounds like one of them is shorting
Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by unclefester
Check the wires in the corrugated plastic at the left side of the boot near the hinge - sounds like one of them is shorting
Nice one , will take a look later
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the alarm and immobilser are not linked.

This is a particulary annoying feature. When your fob breaks and even though you have the key and can get in and start the car you can't silence the alarm.
Happened to me last month, a cricket ball broke the circuit board! - I have no idea how you drove it, the noise in the car is defening - I opted to wait for the spare fob to arrive, after admiting defeat that I couldn't find a work around.

If your key fob is working and will unlock the car its pretty odd that you can't use it to turn off the alarm when it goes off. Definitely something wrong there - I think unclefester is on to something with the boot wire - its a known issue.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 AM

Hi Martin

Did you get to the bottom of the alarm problem - mine did exactly the same thing yesterday - drove home with the alarm wailing....

Now nervous about driving it in case I get stuck somewhere..

Martin
Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM

I've had this. Sometimes something positioned in the boot can interfere with the signal I think.
Also, I've found if you close the boot, and immediately press the unlock button for the doors, this can also happen - car unlocks, but alarm keeps going off. Can drive away....

Solution:- wait a second between closing boot and unlocking car.
If it's happened though, and alarm is going off, close the doors/boot, lock the car with the remote, and wait for the alarm to stop.
Unlock with remote. Wait a few seconds. Lock again. Unlock and seems to be fine after that.

Bsically just seems to need resetting back to a locked/alarmed state, once the alarm has stopped.

Pain in the arse!

E
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 AM

Been out on the car today - not a problem. So just have to see how it goes - thanks for the feedback.

Martin
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Community Organizer

I had a look at the wiring loom in the boot and could not see any thing obvious and mine has not done it again since I started this thread - weird!!