UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone else bugg*r their Road Angel last night?

Old 10-21-2003, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else bugg*r their Road Angel last night?

After seeing the Road Angel review on Fifth Gear last night it reminded me that I hadn't updated my unit for a while so I logged on and plugged in...... started the web update as usual and it just sat there doing nothing...... I tried repeatedly without any luck. After a few failed updates the RA started to show a fault [F] when powering up......

I called Blackspot this morning to find that their server was down last night.....hence the problem...... they say the fault will clear the next time I sync BUT my unit is now not visible to my PC (it says can't connect to RA)

Anyone else have trouble like this?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:55 AM

DOn't have a road angel - but saw you wizzing past me! The car looked good - top up though.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:08 AM

I had a similar problem last time I tried to update, before going on holiday and to SM4 back in August. Despite a number of tries, the update wouldn't complete. Each time the unit now starts up, I get the same [F] code as you describe.

I assumed that it was because my database subscription had run out though. Perhaps not.

I got an e-mail from them asking me why I hadn't renewed last month. I replied, mentioning my concern that their database wasn't being updated regularly and mentioned Simmo's misfortune in being done by a site which wasn't detected by the RA (on a no-names basis) and asked them what comfort they could give me that the database was in fact updated regularly. Suffice it to say that I have heard nothing back from them
Old 10-21-2003, 02:15 AM

If it was this morning you saw me I had probably only just started out and the top was still damp...... I usually drive a few miles and then drop the top after its dried off a bit...... you'll be pleased to know that the top went down at a set of traffic lights just before the BP station where the A4 joins the A30 . I'm still trying my first tank of BP Ultimate...... have to say the occassional hesitancy around 2000rpm is now gone so its thumbs up so far!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner

I got an e-mail from them asking me why I hadn't renewed last month. I replied, mentioning my concern that their database wasn't being updated regularly and mentioned Simmo's misfortune in being done by a site which wasn't detected by the RA (on a no-names basis) and asked them what comfort they could give me that the database was in fact updated regularly. Suffice it to say that I have heard nothing back from them
You will be lucky if you get an e-mail from them, you have to call and speak to the tech support dept.
My impression of black box and their database is what a bunch of w@nkers and i told them in no uncertain terms will not be renewing and will slate them on the net. I have no problem with the unit itself just the t@ssers behind the scenes.

" yes we have the autovision sites you mentioned on the system but as there are so many we will update the database in the winter all at once"

My response
" what good is that when most people do there driving in the summer or on a daily basis and what about the info input by every user, does this not get used to update the database?"

" no the info is stored for our records on your individual unit and as there is so much info going in then deleted it is too labour intensive to keep track , blah blah blah"

My response
" so what do i pay the subs for then??"

No response back.

so now saving for better system where the database is kept up to date or until someone cracks it so free downloads can be done.

Rant over but hope that sheds some light on the t@ssers at blackspot and makes newbies aware of the service they will be paying for and will get when buying a RA.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:26 AM

I'm talking to tech support later today...... I'll let you know whether they help or not!