UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Audio Control Problem?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio Control Problem?

I fitted an Alpine iDA-X311RR and fitted the Autoleads patch leads etc a couple of weeks ago.

Driving in town today, I hit the mute, then when I wanted to 'un mute' the mute remained on, with the LED illuminated on the controls. Even when I turn the ignition off, the LED is still on when I turn the ignition back on.

Thinking there was a problem with the patch leads, I disconnected them from the car loom, but the damned mute LED still stays on! This leads me to believe that there is a problem with the Audio Control itself (possibly the switch), rather than the patch leads, although it is a little coincidental.

I have good continuity between the mute wire on the green connector behind the controls and the patch leads.
I have tried another mute relay, which did not solve the issue.
The LED only extinguishes when I remove the green connector at the rear (therefore removing power)

For now, I have disconnected the mute wire from the stereo interrupt and annoying as it is, I still have the mute LED on although I can hear sound as per normal.

Any suggestions would be welcome I intend to test my theory that the switch is buggered by connecting another set of audio controls in due course, but would appreciate it if anyone has further advice to offer

EDIT: Modifry also seems to think that the switch is fecked too

http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/...%20stays%20lit
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome piece of kit, recently bought the same one, love it.

Mine does a similar issue. Play around with the signal wire, its the blue one.

When i turn the radio off using the power button, it will not switch back on. Play around with the signal wire, it turns on but is on permanent mute.

You need to unplug it and plug it back in a few times while pressing the power button on and off (i think).

I just played around, also think i was pressing the mute button. Cant really remember, was a bit boozed when i was fiddling. lol

Let me know if you come right, cuz if its the same issue, we need to take it up with Alpine.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Blue wire you say? Don't remember seeing any blue wires associated with mute

Pretty certain mine needs a new audio control unit...I also need to sort out where the mute was shorting to so that I can find what induced the fault. I like wiring faults...they can be easy to diagnose, but bloody fiddly behind the stereo!

Perhaps you should investigate yours when a little less tipsy!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 AM

LOL, its not directly related to the mute, its the wire that sends the signal to the radio to turn it on when you switch your ignition on.

Unplug it and plug it back in, see what happens, pretty sure fiddling with it will solve your issues.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 AM

I have no issues turning it on...that's fine and dandy

I'll try another control unit...pretty sure it will solve the issue.

Thanks for sharing your problem with me however...I hope you resolve yours in good time
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 AM

If you've wired up the mute wire incorrectly you might have fried the control unit. I did on mine!

From modifry site (applicable regardless of whether you have a modifry unit)

"The dash MUTE green LED stays lit all the time, and the MUTE function does not work.
A - This is not a good sign. It usually means the dash mute circuit is blown, which happens if the dash mute wire is connected to a ground or another wire with voltage on it. I've seen this happen when an installer thinks the purple mute wire (in the custom adapter) is a speaker wire and connects it to a speaker output on the head unit. You should immediately turn off the ignition and disconnect the dash mute wire at the adapter, then see if the green LED works normally. If it does, your mute circuitry may be OK, so check your wiring. If, however, the LED is still on all the time then the dash switch electronic circuit board is damaged. It will have to be replaced or possibly repaired. I have been known to repair blown mute circuits so email me if you want to try that solution."

http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/help.htm#The dash MUTE green LED stays lit
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 AM

Changed the control circuit, et voila...I have mute back

Big to Martin, AKA Zudzilla for sending me one...the beers are on me
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM

I to have used the same patch lead and am now in the same position! I do not believe my installation was at fault and was just wondering if your problem was still fixed and if you knew the exact cause? Thank you in advance.