UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a car that has a private plate on retention?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a car that has a private plate on retention?

Looking at a car that currently has a private plate. The seller has put this on retention a few days ago.

I'm happy with the car, and want to go forward with the sale, but the seller isnt sure what we have to do to ensure he gets the plate.
I'm also not sure if I can actually sign the V5 with the private plate to buy the car, or if I have to wait for the new V5 to arrive?

Any thoughts are appreciated on this.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can deal with it all in on go at the DVLA office now. When I bought my S2k a few months ago I did this, I basically took the car away with the plate on it, went to the DVLA with the signed V5 and put the number plate on retention in his name.

This is the document you'll need to fill in - http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_069390.pdf
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Once you have done the paper work (and paid) DVLA send you a new V5 and a document you can take to Halfords or whoever autorising the plate. Youe insurers will charge you to change the details, theaving bstards.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Your insurers will charge you to change the details, theiving b's.
If you inform the insurance company that you have a new car and that you will be making a change to the reg plate they "should" wave the 2nd amendment and only charge you for changing the car.
Mine did.

Minvo.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
This is the document you'll need to fill in - http://www.direct.go...t/dg_069390.pdf
In section C of the above DVLA form it states:

"you must not sell or get rid of the vehicle until you receive a replacement V5C. If you do sell or get rid of the vehicle before you get a replacement V5C, the new keeper is entitled to keep the vehicle registration number if they want to"

Chris.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Do not buy a car with a private plate unless its been transferred 100% and has the original plate back on it.

I have had so much agro in the 3 months since i brought my car. Seller sold the car under agreement i would let him have the number plate back once he had a new car. 3 months later the car is still not in my name and im stuck in no mans land.

I still have his number plate on my car and the car is still registered in his name because he has'nt sent the log book off. Until he sorts out the paperwork and goes to the DVLA office then im abit stuck.

I have now put in a request to have the logbook under my name and he will lose his number plate as it will be registered with the car under my name.

I would defo not buy a car again with a private number plate unless it was part of the sale. Once you have parted with your money the motivation for the seller to get his plate sorted is lost because he's got his cash.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies chaps. Think I'll just have to wait until the new V5 comes through to be safe.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Do not buy a car with a private plate unless its been transferred 100% and has the original plate back on it.

I have had so much agro in the 3 months since i brought my car. Seller sold the car under agreement i would let him have the number plate back once he had a new car. 3 months later the car is still not in my name and im stuck in no mans land.

I still have his number plate on my car and the car is still registered in his name because he has'nt sent the log book off. Until he sorts out the paperwork and goes to the DVLA office then im abit stuck.

I have now put in a request to have the logbook under my name and he will lose his number plate as it will be registered with the car under my name.

I would defo not buy a car again with a private number plate unless it was part of the sale. Once you have parted with your money the motivation for the seller to get his plate sorted is lost because he's got his cash.
It's your car and plate now, why don't you just put it on retention and charge him if he wants it back, if not sell it on if it's a saleable plate. DVLA will fall on him like a ton of bricks for not handing over the V5, write to him (use a solicitor if you need to) get the log book off him and do the retention thing.

Alternatively ramp up loads of parking fines and congestion charges, that'll make him move!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM

I'm in a very similar situation, agreed sale on a car but didn't want the pplate, owner is retaining this now. I think the v5 has now been sent to dvla so just waiting for the new v5 with new reg to arrive, then as I understand it I have to sign the new keeper section of the new logbook and return again to dvla to transfer owner. Or now the seller has started the process what are people's thoughts on collecting the car now with the pplate on and just changing everything over myself when the dvla get the log book in my name back to me?