UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clunky Gear Box

Old 08-23-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunky Gear Box

My gear box suffers from the buzz problem in 3rd and 4th gear. it has become worse lately and yesterday the gear box was quite clunky. i am not sure whats up with it. i think it might need a new clutch or some kind of tweaking. this is all fine as it can be repaired. the only problem is i am off to france on thursday morning in the s2000. i am a bit worried it could pack up all together. whats the deal with break downs in france. i am with the RAC and also have the AA cover plan which came with the extended warranty. if the worse happens and the clutch does go whilst in france. how screwed am i? are there many honda garages? i don't speak much french either.

i could get hold of my mums car which means getting insured on a pug 306 cabriolet. its not a bad car but i would have to pay to get insured on it and she would have to meet me in portsmouth to swap cars. at the moment i think i am taking the s2000. and then sorting out all the warranty and repair stuff when i get back.

i am hoping the garage will pay for the repair under warranty as it is a design fault and now starting to hinder the cars performance. i have asked about it before but been told that it wasn't covered by the extended warranty. this was the balmer lawn honda garage. i am hoping chiswick honda will sort me out. as it is not just wear and tear. its been doing it since 18000 miles. the car now has 32000 on a 2000 plate.

well i drove the car into work tonight and the car felt fine. the noise is alot more pronounced with the roof up. maybe it was because the car was cold that morning that it was more clunky.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think long and hard about taking your S abroad if you're not sure the mechanicals are sound.

It's difficult enough getting a UK garage to sort things properly on a standard warranty without the hassle of having your car recovered form overseas and going on the extended warranty.

Ideally get a proper opinion from a good dealer about what might happen to the gearbox if you have time. Otherwise, if you have the option of another car I would take it.

We don't want to read a "help stuck in France with a ed S - dealer arguing about where to recover it to, had to hitchhike home, warranty nightmare etc etc." thread in a week's time