UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Enging rattle between 2000-3000rpm on 2009 model?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ,Sep 27 2010, 08:29 PM
let me think...............

i know, pick up the phone to Honda and ask some questions
...........and it will get you precisely zilch.

HUK are unlikely to have enough technical skill to get to the bottom of it. It'll need either R&D or the manufacturing arm to have enough speciallist knowledge to get to the bottom of it.

Once they do get to the bottom of it it isn't necissarily in their interest to release the information to the dealer network. Dealers are a franchise. The boss of Honda Timbuktu could also be the boss of Nissan Timbuktu. Releasing confidential info into the realms where Ted the tea boy can read it and tell all his mates in the pub is just asking for trouble.

They will not release any information if they can help it and even then it will be absolute minimum
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's precisely the point..I don't know of any large commercial organisation that is going to release sensitive information when goodwil/reputationl is at stake. Toyota did so after worldwide publicity media attention. I suspect the chairman of Honda will not be offering a public apology in this case
Old 09-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we should start a thread up containing all the members that have had to have their engines replaced by Honda under warranty, rather than the engine failure thread that we currently have.
Personally, if my engine goes again I will be fighting to get Honda to pay someone like Dixon motorsport to strip it down and rebuild it with an upgraded crank, bearings etc as I really don't see the point in Honda just putting in another engine that is more than likely to fail again, I'm not a mug and I don't like being treated like one which is exactly what Honda is doing to us all.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 PM

p800bry, yes I agree, it's a good idea to start an engine replacement thread for this particular issue.

Regarding my dealer, I too feel they've done as good a job as they possibly can for me. I don't feel they've got the resources (technical, human or financial) to get to the bottom of this issue, nor do I feel it their responsibility.

I think the responsibility lies with Honda UK/Japan. The worrying scenario would be if they've already got to the bottom of it but don't have a fix.

My replacement head is on backorder and will not arrive until 2/3rd November so we'll have to wait to see if this works or not.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=GREGSTERWIZ,Sep 27 2010, 09:29 PM]let me think...............

i know, pick up the phone to Honda and ask some questions
Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fluffyninja,Sep 27 2010, 08:42 PM
...........and it will get you precisely zilch.

HUK are unlikely to have enough technical skill to get to the bottom of it. It'll need either R&D or the manufacturing arm to have enough speciallist knowledge to get to the bottom of it.

Once they do get to the bottom of it it isn't necissarily in their interest to release the information to the dealer network. Dealers are a franchise. The boss of Honda Timbuktu could also be the boss of Nissan Timbuktu. Releasing confidential info into the realms where Ted the tea boy can read it and tell all his mates in the pub is just asking for trouble.

They will not release any information if they can help it and even then it will be absolute minimum
Hardly surprising, is it?

Seems like few are mature enough to deal with the information, these days.

There is a similar situation in the US, where a number of R18 crankcases have cracked. It seems to be penny numbers (so far) and Honda has replaced them FOC. But it hasn't stopped the 'victim mentality' rearing its head.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The moaning will really start when someone replaces an early engine with a later one and it goes up in proverbial smoke 6 months later All of a sudden engine conversions are going to take on a whole raised level of appeal.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Sep 28 2010, 09:51 AM
internet warrior

that's the pot calling the kettle black.

I don't know you and i suspect that nor do you know Gaxxy or Bristol Honda or know the dealings that Gaxxy has had with Bokkie or Honda UK. Yet you are very happy to criticise Gaxxy for his 'failings' that you know nothing about.

And when challenged, nor have you come up with anything substantive other than 'Bristol Honda should do better'.

So, and i'd happily say this to your face, if you've nothing constructive to add i 'courteously' propose you butt out.
are you bum chums ?

this is the last time I will say this

the dealer should be seeking a solution to the issue, not just merrily replacing engines

if I had 3 or 4 engine replacements in a relatively new car then I would reject it

the warranty is a contract between Honda and the owner

but the dealer is at the sharp end so it is in his interest as well to get to the root of the problem

unless he just wants to bill Honda for the warranty work

how many engines have Bristol Honda replaced now ?

ps. I am sure you wouldn't be as rude or full of yourself in person (not for long anyway)

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Please try and calm down chaps.

Chris.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester,Sep 28 2010, 02:51 AM
The moaning will really start when someone replaces an early engine with a later one and it goes up in proverbial smoke 6 months later All of a sudden engine conversions are going to take on a whole raised level of appeal.
Hopefully I'll never need my engine replacing, but if I do, I'll be asking specifically for someone to find me a non DBW engine, at this rate!

Quick Reply: Enging rattle between 2000-3000rpm on 2009 model?