UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Eyes wide shut

Old 09-07-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
Repairs imo are different from maintenance (servicing, tyres, etc.) as is running costs (tax, insurance, MOT/NCT). Repairs in my 8 years ownership i've had to replace the roof, suspension (twice), clutch, clutch master cylinder, windscreen, caster bushes, rear calipers, engine and diff mounts in my GPW. That isn't too bad imo but i feel there may be more down the line, poor diff is making noise and the rear suspension is leaking again. I have kept track of most of the costs, unfortunately.
Roof is maintenance not repair, it's a consumable.

My point is if you have to pay to maintain it's presence on the road then it's maintenance and includes all kinds of repairs. The only outgoings that aren't maintenance are fuel and mods.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Ha Ha! You don't consider regular servicing as maintenance?

And having road legal tyres as maintaining the car?

Or maintaining the legal status as maintenance?

Edit- As for road tax you could always SORN it and stick it in a shed.

The only thing that you can drop from the equation is fuel coat as it's your choice when and how far you drive it.
Fuel coat...ooo let me in.

No, they're running costs in a car this old. (IMHO and discussion provoking message) including petrol...

All are done or replaced well before recognised maintenance intervals (4500 miles / 6 months) legal levels (above 3mm) etc...

I'm maintaining its increased lifespan is a better analogy??
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Ok so picking the nuts from this

capex: price paid less depreciation/pa (literally, the capital)

opex: tax, maintenance, MOT/pa (fixed cost of owning)
runex: tyres, fluids, petrol/per mile (costs for using)

Which leaves tarting up - cleaning, waxing, clay bar shit? Money down the drain - ICE enhancement, tech bits added?
is that avatar pic the mater moment?

ice enhancement in theory improves your asset. in reality we are talking small amounts of cost unless you go large on subs and muthafunkin amps bro

run ex.. like it. they are all capex or revex

if capex < depreciation your car will be dumping value. in Cynics' case his capex is massive and depreciation probably low so.. err. happy days. sort of.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
is that avatar pic the mater moment?

... in Cynics' case his capex is massive and depreciation probably low so.. err. happy days. sort of.
Sadly not, the depreciation is equally as high.

To continue my analogy, I've take what could be described as a task agnostic, highly efficient and performing NHS Trust, and stripped it back to a single purpose, barely legal, NHS Blood Donor bus!

(I choose that comparison as you can only really spend 10 mins in my car without needing a stabilising cuppa).