UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlight trouble – Driver’s side not working

Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight trouble – Driver’s side not working

My offside headlight stopped working a while back, so I booked the car into my local Honda dealer (Darlington’s in Harlow) for investigation.

The garage found the headlight fuse blown, replaced the fuse and fitted a new bulb but still can’t get the headlight working. They say it could be the ignitor or control unit or both.

From a quick search on here I’m guessing it’s more likely the control unit (I’m assuming the control unit is also generally referred to as a ballast on S2KI).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated – I’m currently looking at getting a 2nd hand control unit fitted and hoping that solves it, any comments on this or other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Diagnostics wise, I’m not sure if this helps identify the issue but when the headlight first stopped working the blue ‘full beam’ warning light lit up on the dashboard at around half its normal brightness whenever I switched on the headlights. Since the garage have changed the bulb and fuse though, this no longer happens – I just get the normal ‘headlights on’ dashboard light.

Side lights and full beam are unaffected and work fine on both sides.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by James Rae
My offside headlight stopped working a while back, so I booked the car into my local Honda dealer (Darlington’s in Harlow) for investigation.

The garage found the headlight fuse blown, replaced the fuse and fitted a new bulb but still can’t get the headlight working. They say it could be the ignitor or control unit or both.

From a quick search on here I’m guessing it’s more likely the control unit (I’m assuming the control unit is also generally referred to as a ballast on S2KI).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated – I’m currently looking at getting a 2nd hand control unit fitted and hoping that solves it, any comments on this or other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Diagnostics wise, I’m not sure if this helps identify the issue but when the headlight first stopped working the blue ‘full beam’ warning light lit up on the dashboard at around half its normal brightness whenever I switched on the headlights. Since the garage have changed the bulb and fuse though, this no longer happens – I just get the normal ‘headlights on’ dashboard light.

Side lights and full beam are unaffected and work fine on both sides.
Two lights on the car! try swapping bits over. Suprised Honda didn't try that.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
They said no can do as the parts are different for each side - is this nonsense?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if the ballasts are not permanently interchangeable, they have the same connector, so it is worthwhile for diagnostic purposes
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a lot of fart-arseing about.

If there's buzz down to the Ballast, then it's the ballast.

Best not to check buzz out of the ballast, since it's 23Kv and you have to be careful with that.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by James Rae
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1302194481' post='20440530
They said no can do as the parts are different for each side - is this nonsense?
Not just nonsense but total boll**ks, as loftus said the connectors are the same. BTW Hi Loftus you've not been around for a while, been away playing boats?

And as Nick said loads of volts there (Honda wimps!)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have been away recently and have been playing around on picket boats

The method I suggested is a right faff, but is worth it to confirm the problem