UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ice wiring

Old 03-17-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice wiring

I have finally started my boot install and have cabling routed and most of the ply nicely wrapped in boot coloured cloth but need to know how people have gone about connections. A friend is very good at electric type stuff and we have used some ferrels (spelling) on the smaller cable to give a good connection. On the thicker cable his crimper cannot fit a big enough ferrel in and he has suggested not to solder the ends before connecting them. Just curious as to how people have connected, just pushed the wires in or soldered etc, I have 2 amps and capacitor and sub, sub already has trailing lead so it's the others that are an issue.

I am planning on connecting battery to cap and then to a dist block and then to the amps, suggestions on this gratefully excepted also

Marc
Old 03-17-2005, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by marc r,Mar 17 2005, 06:13 AM
I have finally started my boot install and have cabling routed and most of the ply nicely wrapped in boot coloured cloth but need to know how people have gone about connections. A friend is very good at electric type stuff and we have used some ferrels (spelling) on the smaller cable to give a good connection. On the thicker cable his crimper cannot fit a big enough ferrel in and he has suggested not to solder the ends before connecting them. Just curious as to how people have connected, just pushed the wires in or soldered etc, I have 2 amps and capacitor and sub, sub already has trailing lead so it's the others that are an issue.

I am planning on connecting battery to cap and then to a dist block and then to the amps, suggestions on this gratefully excepted also

Marc
For most of my connections I've just crimped the metal onto the wire. However I soldered the wires to the sub (as I figured they needed extra strength due to vibrations). I'm glad I decided not to solder all the wires because it would have been a right pain due to the number of time I had to reconnect them.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 AM

I'm hoping not to have to remove it although it probably won't work when I turn it on, I meant solder the ends of the wires to keep the strands together
Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 AM

You will get a better electrical connection with untinned (free) stranded wire onto a compression/screw fitting. If you tin (solder) the strands of the wire they tend not to break but the connection isn't quite as good.

For your sub connection I doubt you'd notice the difference. For a tweeter you probably wouldn't either due to the other noise around the car but you would certainly notice the difference on home hifi with a decent setup.

If you're worried about connecting/reconnecting the wires I'd buy set of high quality gold plated spade terminals and solder/crimp the wires onto the sub and then solder/crimp the spades onto the wires. Decent connection with easy removal, then.

YMMV etc
Old 03-17-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks Stuart, another few nights and I think I'll have it wired and ready to blow up. Can only do an hour a night as no light in the garage and can't really tamper anywhere else.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what sort of thing you going for ? pictures in time will be good.

mine is all waiting to go in the car once its back with me.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StuartL,Mar 17 2005, 06:01 PM
You will get a better electrical connection with untinned (free) stranded wire onto a compression/screw fitting. If you tin (solder) the strands of the wire they tend not to break but the connection isn't quite as good.

For your sub connection I doubt you'd notice the difference. For a tweeter you probably wouldn't either due to the other noise around the car but you would certainly notice the difference on home hifi with a decent setup.

If you're worried about connecting/reconnecting the wires I'd buy set of high quality gold plated spade terminals and solder/crimp the wires onto the sub and then solder/crimp the spades onto the wires. Decent connection with easy removal, then.

YMMV etc

Exactly how I did mine

Solder sub conections
crimped gold speaker connections
all other just stripped and clamped to amp or cross overs
Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 AM

Cheers again everyone, just have the earths to connect and then the battery connection to complete the wiring, then it's just a matter of installing the bits and pieces, s2uk, I have a couple of amps, capacitot and a sub, got it off ebay, it was from a boot install of someone on here, the mdf was shaped but covered in red, bit too much for me so have recovered it and matched it to the boot carpet, looks much better IMO, will post up some pic's when it's finished.