UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Passenger Window goes down, but not up from drivers switch

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Window goes down, but not up from drivers switch

Morning everyone,

I have a window problem. And it's not the window-disable-button accidently pressed down (sorry to disappoint!). The situation is:

From driver's side switch: Drivers window goes up and down fine (although slight judder on the way down)
From driver's side switch: Passenger window goes down (again, with a slight judder), but doesn't come up when I hold it. It sometimes works, sometimes comes up in stages, sometimes doesn't budge at all.
From passenger's side switch: Passenger window goes up and down without a problem.

I've sprayed silicon grease down the seals to loosen the mechanism up, and that didn't really solve anything.

The solutions I've read about are: Fuse / control unit / window regulator / bad switch.

What annoys me is that the fault isn't always there. It sounds like a failing part - either window mech or switch I guess. Is there anyone around Oxfordshire that I could meet up and swap a working switch with? Any ideas/previous experience would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 AM

I'm not an expert, but if the passenger side switch drives the window going up/down correctly, doesn't that immediately point to a problem in the drivers side?
In my simple brain, if the passenger side switch works fine, then it eliminates the mechanism to drive the window itself - motor/seals etc.
It could be a fuse, but if the fuse regulates both switches, then again, I'd eliminate that as the passenger side works fine.
I'd look more closely at the driver side as that seems to be the source of the issue.
Dirty contacts/loose wiring perhaps?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with the passenger control isolation switch on the drivers door
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 AM

As maby says, it'll be a connection issue relating to the drivers switch wiring, on something unique to that circuit not after it's combined with the passenger switch bit.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k
Problem with the passenger control isolation switch on the drivers door
Wouldn't that make the passenger switch intermittent aswell?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

This is deffo an electrical problem. Download the service manual it's in the FAQ's as a .pdf page 22.121. It sounds like the drivers overide for the passenger window going intermittant. The judder on the drivers window is loose screws on the rail that holds the window, had the same on my CRX, and can be fixed with a screwdriver.

"Wouldn't that make the passenger switch intermittent aswell?" I don't think so Dan looking at the (weird Honda) diagram.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks Rich,

I'm probably being stupid, but the owners manual I was looking at doesn't go up to 22.121. I'm trying to download a pdf version as I was looking at this:
http://issuu.com/onderhoud/docs/hond...rvice_manual02

The loose screws on the rails. Are these accessible with just removing the door card, or will I need to remove the metal skin as well?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Cheers everyone. I went to have a good look on Sunday, but typically it began working fine. It was playing up yesterday, so pulled off the doorcard to have a look. No bad connections, dirt or broken pins as far as I could see.

Does anyone live in the Oxford area so I could meet up and swap a doorcard over to try a different switch. It's 3 screws and a 5 minute job for those that haven't tried it, and it'd be a great help.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jammer2209
Thanks Rich,

I'm probably being stupid, but the owners manual I was looking at doesn't go up to 22.121. I'm trying to download a pdf version as I was looking at this:
http://issuu.com/onderhoud/docs/hond...rvice_manual02

The loose screws on the rails. Are these accessible with just removing the door card, or will I need to remove the metal skin as well?
Go here fot the manual, it's around 27Mb.-

http://hondatech.info/search/s2000/

I've only done the window rail screws on a CRX, on that you had to line the screws up with holes in the panel by moving it up/down, not a difficult job (on the CRX) so it ought to be card only.