UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

That post-dealer feeling?!

Old 11-19-2001, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 'smyroad
[B]
As far as the S-02's go, I was parked in a level parking space with 1/2" /
Old 11-19-2001, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Nothing to with this thread really but most of last winter when it was really cold, the damped radio cover needed a pull to open it!
I thought it was bolloxed, but it was right as rain as soon as the weather warmed up.
Gods bless this forum Mine's been a bit reluctant to come down sometimes for a couple of weeks, I thought it was screwed! I'll just be a little patient...
Old 11-19-2001, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL... I hear ya! People are going to find it hard to believe until they've experienced it. In the snow this car is a toboggan!
Please repeat after me:

There will be no snow this year,
There will be no snow this year....

I park on a steep slope. Any snoe or even ice on the slop and I'm going nowhere. I also have back down to park. I though about winter tires, but I've after some heavy rain, and some cold weather I've decided that if it's too bad for warm S02's then I'm parking up.

-Brian.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:10 AM

Steven:
What's the significance of leading edge in relation to wheel corrosion?
Basically ALL the corrosion is on the leading edge - the side of the alloy spoke that is always taking the grit and crap from the road - so there is a possibility that Honda will say the chips and cracks are wear and tear and is not a manufacturing fault. My only leg to stand on is the fact that there is also a bubbling effect around these slightly chipped edges which IS a manufacturing fault and they know that. Whatever is hitting the alloy, you should still not be getting that kind of bubble effect in the coating.

Actually it would be interesting to hear from all the recent purchasers about their experiences in this colder weather.
Well, as you saw when i started off this thread i was starting to find the handling in damp/cold conditions a bit of a problem - i had no problem dealing with it, but to be honest it just let me down, i thought it was far too unsteady in what were only slightly mild conditions.
However, as my update added earlier sorting the tyre pressures out has made the handling 100% better and i am so much more impressed with it now. I also have fairly old tyres and am down to the harder compound so you have to respect the road more when they are cold.
If i had better tread on the tyres and the pressures were right i'd say that i'd be very very impressed with the handling in dodgy conditions - especially given (1) the raw rear power of this car and (2) the amount i read from you guys before i bought it that condemned the handling in damp/cold conditions.

But then again.............bring on the summer!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-19-2001, 11:24 AM

Steve:
Thanks for the info. on the wheel corrosion.
Just to put this winter handling in perspective, I think you'd get many of the same handling characteristics from any powerful rear wheel drive sports car. The lack of understeer and the lightweight nature of the S2000 coupled with stock SO2's, add to the problem. I'm happy to live with it as the price for making it my only car. It's the price I pay for that summer, top - down apex clipping.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:15 AM

On the subject of pressures, I am definitely going to get a top notch pressure gauge today as two cheapy gauges and the local garage air supply gave me a variance over 6 lbs psi !

All I know is that before I messed with the pressures this weekend I had no handling problems; now, it's rock hard ride and twitchy city.

But I do go with the school of progressive aggressive driving - i.e. you're faster and safer through a corner if you're smooth and progressive with the controls (given your tyre pressures are correct!) I think this applies especially to rwd cars and, the more power there is the more it applies.

Pete
Old 11-20-2001, 12:16 AM

As to wheel corrosion, when I cleaned the car on Sunday I noticed that I have bubbling starting on the sharp edge where the front part of the spoke meets the back inside. ( I haven't explained that very well, but I hope you get what I mean.)

So, that's a new clutch AND new alloys I'm going for under warranty when the 2002 model comes out.

Pete
Old 11-28-2001, 11:42 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Can,t help but agree with Cedric regarding tyre pressures on a car of the performance of the S2000 . Also the advice about winter driving and cold tyres with a cold road surface !Just look @ the trouble F1 has when going to different tracks in different climates .

One should also consider salt when it appears on our roads as this can have a very bad effect on grip after the ice has melted and long gone
Old 11-28-2001, 10:39 PM

I have found when the ambient temperature drops below 10degrees, the grip reduces significantly.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:55 PM

I know what you mean, I've found that on my drive home the tyres appear to have a lot less grip just after I've set off compared to when I arrive near home again - even with cold ambients and a wet road they still seem to "soften up" with a little driving