UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rude Awakening

Old 04-06-2002, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao - did you look at this cos u read the title and thought something else?!?!?!
hehehe - shame on you!
----------------------------------

i was surfing around on here last night and popped into the aussie forum for a little look. i came across this thread which i thought was quite interesting:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=51436

its actually quite an eye opener i thought and those thoughts were echoed to me even more today. i can gladly say not through a dodgy experience that i had but of a story that was told to me:-

i went back to my dealer (im always passing and i always get a cuppa from the saleman!) and he told me about the last S2000 he sold. The buyer - someone who supposedly had plenty of sportscar experience - took delivery of his brand new MCB. Two days later, he all but totalled it. he took a low speed turn (mini roundabout) and lost the back end, collecting some concrete bollards and doing a 360 in the process - result: twisted chassis.

Luckily i havent had any of this experience - i always "drive" through my corners as opposed to coasting anyway. However, just a little reminder that we should always be aware of the type of car we are driving and give it the respect it deserves.

any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by S2000GT
lmao - did you look at this cos u read the title and thought something else?!?!?!
hehehe - shame on you!
----------------------------------
I thought your car was sleep walking again!
Old 04-06-2002, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think unless you are some kind of semi-pro driver - everybody has to learn a bit on the S2000 before you can avoid these moments. Each time I think I have got the hang of it - I get some more feedback on my driving capability. I've had one 100% driver induced moment - and one kind of horrible one when one rear spun whilst going straight under hard acceleration. Learning to be a lot smoother with both throttle and steering.

When I am having a bit of fun on some wide open tarmac and give it a bit more throttle than normal - I often feel the back of the car squirming around - (no tyre squeal) - is this the tyres or the chassis moving? I have never got the car to slide in the dry yet - only in the wet.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by S2000RJ
I thought your car was sleep walking again!
lol...its fast asleep...a little dose of "night nurse" in the fuel tank does wonders!
Old 04-06-2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Kobe
[B]I think unless you are some kind of semi-pro driver - everybody has to learn a bit on the S2000 before you can avoid these moments. B]
i think the key word is respect...any rear wheel drive car i think you need to respect more and understand whats GOING to happen as opposed to throwing a car around and dealing with the consequences like you do in a front wheel drive.....
I often feel the back of the car squirming around - (no tyre squeal) - is this the tyres or the chassis moving?
i too have felt little squirms on acceleration...i think this is the tyres possiblly...they arent ultra low profile so will have some give in the tyre wall
I have never got the car to slide in the dry yet - only in the wet.
lol..i had one time in the dry...i forgot myself soon after i bought the car. I used to have a celica V VTi - front wheel drive - i was sitting at a junction in the side road waiting to pull out onto the main road. i saw a gap and i went for it. plenty of gas and steering at the same time (as i was used to in the toyota) and hey presto..massive tail slide. i recovered it well and didnt look too much of a prat but my heart was pounding FAST!! id never experienced that before but like you say...the more you drive it the more you learn its quirks (although...i think most rear wheel drive cars would have lost it at that moment - maybe not quite as spectacularly tho!!)
Old 04-06-2002, 04:11 PM

I always advise people who are thinking about buying the S2000 that it is a car which requires attention to ones driving. If you can drive smoothly with feeling, it is a pleasure to drive. However, if you want something that you can drive on auto-pilot, it will bite you sooner or later.

There is no doubt that the handling of a car with LSD is going to be different to one without. I do notice a wheel skipping on tight corners, but usually only in car parks. Often it only happens, because I induce it. I admit that I have had moments on the road, but generally due to the road surface. On my daily commute, there are places where I know that the rear can step out, if I hit a certain bump in the road or change in surface. My previous car was not unbalanced by them, but the S2000 chassis is so much stiffer. The S2000 also does not like white lines in the wet, but any biker could tell you that. I admit that I am still learning about the characteristics of the S2000 myself. I went to the Honda event at Bedford Autodrome when I first had the car. There was a photographer there, who took some pictures of the cars on the track. It's amazing to look at the angles of the wheels, going through a corner. It's no wonder that it sometimes feels that they squirming a bit.

I found something similar on the kart track at Sandown Park. I was in a kart race, when it started to pour with rain. It wasn't for a while, until I realized that the track had been resurfaced on the corners. There was no point braking on the straights, because the surface was so slick, that the kart would snap sideways. Grip on the corners was excellent (new surface), even in the wet. The safest way to drive it, was to take the straights full throttle and brake hard as soon as I reached the new surface, any other way and I was not in control There was also a wide 180 corner, which could only be taken with a full throttle slide in the wet. Lifting or braking would cause the kart to understeer off.

I'm afraid that IMHO I am not too concerned about the experience of one guy, when that person talks about all his road race wins in the same thread
Old 04-06-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by S2000RJ
I'm afraid that IMHO I am not too concerned about the experience of one guy, when that person talks about all his road race wins in the same thread
lol i know what you mean...i didnt post it cos of him, just cos it coincided with my talk with the dealer today. it did kinda read "i had the scare of my life..but then i kicked @$$ all day long regardless...oh well..he WILL learn eventually.

i feel bad for my local new owner tho totalled his new car after 2 days! man that has to be the worst feeling in the world!!
Old 04-06-2002, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000GT
[B]lol i know what you mean...i didnt post it cos of him, just cos it coincided with my talk with the dealer today. it did kinda read "i had the scare of my life..but then i kicked @$$ all day long regardless...oh well..he WILL learn eventually.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last October a local couple bought a new silver/red with HT and two weeks later lost it on a roundabout and the car was off the road for three months.

WEll it's time to get ready to go meet Tif

See y'all soon!!!!
Old 04-06-2002, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple. Get some decent training.

So can never be sure what road conditions are, if you've picked up a puncture, when someone else is going to get in your way requiring you to take action to avoid an accident. Sooner or later, you will get in a situation with the car, where it's over the limit.

The only real thing you can do is get some training to know when the car's over the limit, and learn how to deal with it. It won't mean you'll never lose it... but the odds of coming out the other side in one piece are vasty improved.

No matter how good a driver you are, the roads aren't perfect, nor are other road users, or indeed you. Best thing you can do is improve the capablities of the single biggest factor in 99% of accidents - the driver.

-Brian.