UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seasonally Affected Disorder?

Old 09-20-2001, 02:14 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Seasonally Affected Disorder?

Has anyone noticed a distinct change in the car's mood this week?

The gearchange is really lumpy and irritable for the first couple of miles since it's got colder, and on the really cold days, you can feel the marbles under the tyres for about five miles.

What's it like when it gets .seriously cold?

Time to buy that second set of wheels & winter tyres, I think!
Old 09-20-2001, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember driving down the M1 during the Winter when there was snow over the carrigeway......

The white lines became very challenging.... Feeling the back end twitch at 50mph in three lines of traffic made you wish for shares in Pampers.

I swaped my S02's for S02pp for the winter. So far they've proven to be much much more forgiving in the wet....
Old 09-20-2001, 04:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

What sizes did you go for?

There's been much debate over the size of the rears in the US.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by awinskill

The white lines became very challenging.... Feeling the back end twitch at 50mph in three lines of traffic made you wish for shares in Pampers.

I have been fishtailing in the wet a lot recently.
*Mental note* Time to adjust my driving style for the winter.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking after 2 S2000's currently mine and Na$ty's while he in hospital. (Get well soon Jon!)

My 2001 is didn't seem affected this morning.

I started Na$ty's - it was a little reluctant, and held far more revs for the initial warm up. (~2000rpm, vrs 1500rpm.)

The cars had both been kept in pretty identical conditions, though Na$ty's has been sat a little bit. (I'm giving it a run every few days to make sure the battery deosn't go flat etc.)

As to driving in the winter, I've always got a buzz out of matching revs perfectly for a change. (Call me sad...) I used the run in period to get a real feel for the gears and throttle take up. The only time it's at all bad for me is very low speed - mar car needs more miles on it to be happy as far as I've read. I also get some hesitancy when sitting before setting off - but not very often.

-Brian.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:09 PM

I put 245's on the back....

Side by side to the OEM's there's little difference. However, the channels on the PP's are much wider and they have a slightly more "agressive" tread pattern.

However, the PP's are quite smelly . After a push on session you can certainly tell your tyres are warm

They PP's took nearly 500 miles to shed their separating compound! They were really slippy before then, I could even get the back wheels to chirp on take off. Now they've got a couple of K miles under them they're really sticky once warm. On a cold morning it feels like the separating compound is still there and you need to take it really easy for the first mile

In the wet the PP's are awesome. There's little twitchiness on the back end. They're much quieter than the OEM S02's as well. However, I think I'm driving the car much more smoothly than I was prior to my instructor sessions. No more low speed judder on the exit of roundabouts...

The main downside to PP's is that the tread blocks are quite soft (being dual compound I guess). This gives the tyres really good grip. However, as the tyres are newish there's a lot of tread left. Now either my arse has got a couple of more inches on since I got the S2000 or I can feel the movement of the blocks.... (OK so it's probably my arse... )

I'd say that if your rears need changing this close to winter I'd get PP's.