UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is there a demand for knock sensors

Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a b-series part number Product SKU : 30530-PV1-A01
Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

JDM b16a in an E-EK4 chassis had a knock sensor, so from late 95.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Also I disconnected the knock board from a

JDM P72 (003 AS) used in the Integra Si (92-95).
Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
I couldn't find anything conclusive regarding the JDM B16A1 other than the Americans (USDM) have knock sensors.

OBD1/2 EG/DC2/EK didn't have them.

I searched for:
JDM CRX Knock sensor
CRX SiR Knock sensor
Japanese CRX knock sensor
JDM B16A1 knock sensor
Japanese B16A1 Knock sensor
Integra XSi knock sensor
Civic SiR knock sensor

Please post your sources.

Thanks
I think you're on the wind up, I'll post some stuff up in the morning but I'm still certain that you are going to disagree.

Why are you so adamant that the f20 is the first jdm Honda engine to have a knock sensor?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My (incredibly awesome and sleek looking) 1993 JDM Prelude had a knock sensor if that muddies the water a bit more?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no muddying the water it's absolutely clear that the S2000 wasn't the first JDM Honda engine to come with a knock sensor

Like I said before I had 13 CRXs between 2001 and 2014, 2 Japanese imports both of which had knock sensors

I worked with a guy called Ben Ogle on PGMFI.org to help him test the code for his ROM editor on both the PWO-000 and PWO-E00 ECU (the former being the JDM ECU with a knock board and the latter being the Euro one without the knock board)

The knock sensor was disabled in the code over 5000rpm and at full throttle by Honda which we assumed was because of the amount of valvetrain and engine noise.

There is a user on the CRX forum called TinkerTim who has been writing his own plugins for BRE for a few years now and has had a lot of experience with the Honda knock sensor and is currently in the process of swapping the standard Honda knock sensor for a Wideaband knock sensor with the intention of improving the resolution and accuracy of knock detection on the early ECUs

Ultra_Nexus if you are so convinced that we are all wrong, a little evidence to prove your theory wouldn't go amiss?

Also something to point out that the B16 when designated for the Japanese market didn't have a suffix it was just a B16A it was only the euro and US engines that had the suffix of A1 or A2
Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
Ultra_Nexus if you are so convinced that we are all wrong, a little evidence to prove your theory wouldn't go amiss?
I'm not convinced of anything. I just can't find any info saying a definitive yes or no that's why I said my searches were inconclusive. Some posts said yes, some posts said no, some said Americans had them but then other posts said they'd been removed. Later searches did show the American CRX had a knock sensor, but that either of the ECUs could show a code 23.

Not that it matters, the knock sensor is largely a waste of time. Like I said, if you modify any aspect of the engine, the knock sensor loses its effectiveness. IIRC, when VTEC engages it turns off because the other noises within the engine are too loud.

My original point was that other Honda JDM performance engines of the past have binned them and they are a safety device designed for someone putting third world quality fuel in.

As long as you aren't getting a CEL, that's all that matters so buying a 'high quality' OEM knock sensor is a waste of money and you'd be better of grounding the wire to earth unless you plan on going to Africa.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:01 AM

Surfer, the you likely already own the best test bed for the sensor. The engine of the car.
Attach the knock sensor you want to test to the engine and then give the block a solid thump with a hammer (nothing too hard just enough to get a "ring" from the engine like a bell") That will generate a frequency appropriate to the one the engine gives out under normal running and then you can do comparison against the OEM one and others.

UN, you have to be changing components in the core of the engine to get the knock sensor affected (crank, pistons, rods, block). Intake and exhaust manifolds don't affect them. The joints are too soft for a start to transmit frequencies suitably to the sensor. I'd have to go back through testing standards to be certain but IIRC even a change to the head won't impact the knock sensor since there is a gasket between it and the block.