Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Buying a vehicle down in the US

Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a vehicle down in the US

Hey guys, so thinking about buying a Subaru Forester down in the US in the next few months and wanted to get some input about the process. What do you do about insurance for the time between purchase and bringing it up here? How about registration? I think I've heard of a temporary operator's permit, but don't know much about it. Do you buy it w/ your address here in Canada? What about state taxes, do you pay them? Anything else you think might be useful for me to know?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a broker to take care of it all for me.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM

I have a buddy who's an auto broker who does this all the time. Depends if you have the time and patience, but in most cases its worth the extra bucks to get someone else to do all the work and have the car delivered to you. Time = money. You will still probably save from buying local.
PM me if you want his contact.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 PM

I was just talking to someone about this that does it all the time. You need to talk to your insurance agent here and let them know your intention. When you find your vehicle you call them and give them all the info. Supposedly with this insurance you can only drive towards Canada do not drive in opposite direction because you will not be insured and the fine is supposedly huge! You have to check if the vehicle you want to buy can be brought into Canada since some vehicles can't be ( I don't know why and what website you can look at to find out?) I think both Oregon and Arizona have no sales tax but you will probably pay more for the car in Oregon since it's closer to us. You need to check for recalls and have the piece of paper for that vehicle stating that. The paper work needs to go to the border 72 hours in advance in order to clear. This is what I remember but if anyone else knows more please post!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Aug 5 2010, 10:05 PM
I got a broker to take care of it all for me.
Including the purchase price?

My situation is a bit odd. Since I'm here as a student, and my vehicle is from the US, it is only registered here, but not imported. Since I'm not Canadian, I am not allowed to import it for sale/trade. So I'm forced to sell it back in the US when I get a new vehicle.

Do you mind passing me the contact info from your broker? How were they?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Fys2k if it's not a hassle yeah please pass me the info. I'll try to do a compilation of the info I learn here as well from my experience in case anyone else has to go through this again.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 AM

you need to buy insurance from here and in the states because you need BC insurance once it crosses the border. You also need insurance and a permit in WA if you plan on driving it up. I had my car delivered to Blaine, went to the supermarket there that sold the permit and insurance. It was 30 bucks I think, drove it to the border, and then switched over to BC insurance once over the border. Also keep in mind that peace arch doesnt do importing of vehicles so you have to go through pacific truck crossing.

You will need a letter from the manufacturer saying that it's free from any recalls. RIV might let you slip by without it, but try to get it if you can. Like others have said, fax the paper work to the border 72hrs ahead of time. They'll even send you an email once they get it. You need to pay a one time fee at the customs as well. It's 250ish. All in all a pretty simple process and can be done in less than 4 hrs.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Subaru is a lil bit off in terms on their warranty transfer. I think you should see that first before you decide to buy an subaru
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM

My S2k was bought by me and a buddy from the States. You need to get an Insurance Binder to get coverage between getting the vehicle and driving it up. You also need to find a place to store the vehicle for 3 business days in between getting the title and getting it cleared for export.

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

This is a good site for info. It's a very easy process.