Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Skiing question from the UK

Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skiing question from the UK

Good morning from the UK and apologies if I have not posted this in the correct place. I am planning my honeymoon for March 07 and I am seriously thinking of the Fairmont Chateau Hotel in Whistler. Ive made enquiries through Cold Comfort who are based there. My Fiance is just getting to grips with step turns and I am a good intermediate skier.
I wonder if you guys could tell me what it will be like, I have heard that it rains alot in the town but this falls as powder on the slopes. Has anyone been to the Fairmont? Alternatively is there a better place to go maybe smaller, quieter or a more romantic setting.
I would really appreciate some of your views as I want it to be very special.
Thanks
Colin from the UK
Old 11-24-2006, 10:05 AM
s2j

I've never been to the Fairmont before but I have been to Club Intrawest which is in the village and First Tracks Lodge which is a 5 min drive away from the village. They are both a good size which includes a kitchen and I believe your own laundry machines. The only thing is the First Tracks does not have room service as it is more like a comfy lodge rather than a hotel room. It has a really nice kitchen though with heated floors. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy skiing either at Blackcomb or Whistler mountain because their runs are good for beginners to professionals. Check out the Club Intrawest website if you have a chance. Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 PM

I have stayed at the Chateau Whistler in the past and it is a nice hotel. The "Gold Club" floor is where I stayed, so it was probably a step up from the usual room, but included the use of a nice lounge. They served appetizers and had an open honor bar in the lounge... In addition, you had access to a private concierge for the club guests only. The Chateau Whistler is part of a chain of historic hotels that were built early in the 1900's; however, the Chateau Whistler is relatively new and lacks some of the old charm of some of the other properties (Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, Hotel Vancouver, and the Empress are good examples).

I just stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel which is right beside the Chateau Whistler. It was quite nice, but I found the service to be below the regular Four Seasons standards. We stayed in a standard room and found it to be clean and well appointed. I did think that for a newer property, it was lacking in some areas. The best example I can think of is that the televisions are standard CRT tube televisions. I would have thought that given the price of the room that they would have equipped the rooms with flat panel screens. Picky, but when you are paying a lot of money...

Both of the above properties are located in the "Upper Village", which is a short (10 minute) walk from the main village. The hotels are located at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, so if you want to ski on Blackcomb, it is great. If you are planning on Skiing Whistler, there is a lift that takes you over to the Whistler side.

Last year we stayed in the village at a self described "Boutique Hotel" called the Sundial. The room was quite nice and included a kitchen, living room, and bedroom. In addition we had a balcony with a private hot tub. I really liked this room, but I must say that I would not call this a boutique hotel because the service was a little rough. As an example, when we first arrived we noticed that the water in the hot tub was a little murky. I called to the front desk and asked them to change the water and they were a little resistant. In the end they did agree to change the water, but I really don't think that I should have had to push for the water to be changed. Definitely not a Ritz...

The Sundial was located right by the Whistler Mountain lifts, so it really is a ski in/ski out location. Not all rooms are equipped with hot tubs, so if you want one you need to ask.

Other hotels to consider that I have not stayed at, but have looked at the rooms are the Pan Pacific and the Hilton. Unfortunately, I can't give you an opinion based on having stayed there.

If I was planning a honeymoon, I would probably go for the club floor of the Chateau Whistler...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your replies.