S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S2000-specific Audio/Electronics FAQ v.2.37

Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000-specific Audio/Electronics FAQ v.2.37

greets -- this is the revised and updated, and updated and updated S2000 Electroncis FAQ. (can't call it the new FAQ anymore... )
it originally started from editing up, adding to, and changing around b0mberman's original S2000 Electronics FAQ to revise it.

i've left some stuff out regarding some items, because i'm not qualified to really address them. plus there are other things we wanted to add... so, let me know what i've missed, link me when possible to things that are missing or write up questions you feel need being addressed.

if you've got stuff to add, post it below and updates will be made on occassion as contributions merit. Please do not flood my PM's if possible. let's make an effort to keep this thread as clean as possible. if you have a suggestion to add to the FAQ, note it in this thread and i will update it when i can.

*note, that since the FAQ has been established for a while, i only make updates a few times a year now...

now.... on w/ the show:

S2000-specific Audio/Electronics FAQ v.2.37

by the s2ki.com electronics forum EJ's

All references of wattage measurements in the FAQ and throughout the forum are in Watts RMS (or continuous power). Other measurements are subject to being a big more 'fudged' and can be unreliable. Please help us remain consistent when referring to power by listing RMW (continuous) power ratings, list them including the number of channels, and at what resistance (ohms). Example: 100 Wrms x 2 channels @ 4 ohms.

Notice the various "anchors" we have provided in the FAQ (ie. #Amplifiers). Each of the following questions can be found in the sub area for each anchor. Use your browser's Find function (ctrl-F for IE) to jump to these "anchors." I am including the questions listed under each anchor, so that you can find what you are looking for more easily.

#General Topics (Most common questions are answered here, including many S2000 specific questions.)[LIST][*] I
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM

#Electrical
My lights are dimming during heavy bass, what should I do? Do I need a capacitor?
Chances are you simply need a battery that can better suit your needs. Generally, we used to recommend Optima Yellow Top batteries, however there have been a number of concerns of late with the Yellow Tops and quality. There are actually several other threads on the issue with multiple reports of dying Yellow Top type 51R and 51 batteries. You will also find them much harder to find now, as Optima does not seem to be manufacturing them anymore.

Some have suggested moving to Exide and Stinger batteries.

Whatever battery you choose, you will need a type 51R for the S2000, and it is a direct OEM replacement. There have been mixed reports on the type 51 working and not working, your mileage may vary. I had a type 51 in my car for a while, and it did just fine for fit, however the battery posts were mighty close to several parts of the body. I did not keep this battery very long as it was a Optima Yellowtop and failed after about 6 months.

Should I run a capacitor in my car with my amps?
The general concensus here is that capacitors are more marketing than go. If you are looking at very high power systems (above say 800 Wrms), then you may want to consider one, after you've addressed your battery.

What light sizes fit all around? I want to upgrade to LED's.
The owners manual contains much of this information.
There are some great links for LED related upgrades (including comparison photos) in these threads:
Thread on using LED's for license plate illumination, as well as for other lights
LED replacement for rear turn signals including load resistors and includes a comparison of several popular bulbs.
Some cautions on LED replacements

To help with LED turn signal upgrades, check the post from modifry in the question below:

How do I stop the hyper blinker when I add LED turn signals?
We can thank modifry for this solution

How can I rig it so I can lower my top without having to come to a complete stop?
SC_Highlander has this little writeup on how to do this... We aren't responsible if you use this poorly and damage your car. This should be used with the upmost caution, so please read the entire thread carefully.

I want to add footwell lights to my S. How do I do it?
InsaneInNC whipped up a little guide on how to do this, so check it out. There are other guides out there as well if you search for them, but this one was done very clearly and uses modifry's footwell light controller, which makes it a super easy install.

My aftermarket head unit / OEM radio has suddenly stopped working. It will not power up. OEM only: the red flashing light is still lit, but nothing works. I've checked the radio fuse. Is my head unit blown?
Check the Accessory fuse. Even if it looks good, replace it. 99.9% of the time, that is the problem.

I've heard about this cool mod where I can open my Garage Door by flashing my headlights. Where can get info on how to do it?

Garage Door Opening by headlight flashing.

#Budget
How much should I plan to spend?
Plan for steeply diminishing returns to investment with each minor improvement costing exponentially more than the last. A journal of speaker improvements reads like a hierarchy of needs. In the first order of needs, you're just concerned with hearing the music. Beyond that, you start becoming concerned with making the music sound "real."

Ok, I have my budget. What can I do with $xxx.xx?

The EJ's roughly put together this suggestion list. There are an infinite number of permutations, so you must determine on your own what is important to you and align it with your budget.
Most of these numbers (especially the more value oriented) do NOT consider installation, but assume you can 'do it yourself'. If you cannot do it yourself, be prepared for additional installation costs.
I have tried to include a 'I like rear speakers' solution at each price point as well.

What would you do with...
...a budget of $50?
Just add rear coaxial speakers.
This will involve cutting the rear panels behind the seats, running your own wires, and installing some inexpensive speakers.

...a budget of $250?
Replace the head unit
This will generally mean buying a fairly modest HU. For this price, you will find it difficult to keep the dash controls.

...a budget of $400?
Replace the head unit and upgrade front speakers (coaxials)
This will easily include a decent HU, allow you to install some relatively nice speakers, and possibly retain the dash controls.

...a budget of $500?
Replace the head unit and upgrade front speakers (components) or a new HU and add S-Pods
This will easily include a decent HU, allow you to install some nice component speakers, and possibly retain the dash controls.
If you prefer rear speakers, this will generally mean buying a fairly modest HU, and adding a set of S-Pods. For this price, you will find it difficult to keep the dash controls.

...a budget of $700?
Replace the head unit and add a small amp and front component speakers, or add a nice HU and upgrade speakers all around with S-pods.
This will easily include a decent HU, allow you to install some quality component speakers, and retain the dash controls, and add a modest amp for power.
If you prefer rear speakers, this will generally mean buying a decent HU, upgrading front speakers to nice components, and adding a set of S-Pods. You should be able to keep the dash controls.

...a budget of $800?
Replace the head unit and add a small amp and nicer front component speakers
This will easily include a decent HU, allow you to install some high quality component speakers, and retain the dash controls, and add a strong amp for power.
If you prefer rear speakers, this will generally mean buying a decent HU, upgrading front speakers to nice components, and adding a set of S-Pods with nice speakers. You should be able to keep the dash controls.

...a budget of $1000 to $1200?
As before but now, switch out the amp for a 4-channel amp and add a sub
This will easily include a nice HU, allow you to install some quality component speakers, nd retain the dash controls, and add a strong 4 channel amp (or possibly 2 amps) for power, plus a decent sub.
If you prefer rear speakers, this will generally mean buying a nice HU, upgrading front speakers to good components, and adding a set of S-Pods with nice speakers, and adding a 4 channel amp to power them all. You should be able to keep the dash controls.

...a budget of $1400+?
$1400 is freedom. First, take out $200 for the install parts such as a DCI, wiring, and so forth and you're left with $300 each for the other components. $300 seems to be a magic number in car audio. A lot of the really awesome individual components--be it deck, amp, component speakers, or sub--cost about $300. Spend a little less and your options become severely limited. Spend a good amount more, and there aren't any real improvements until you get the level around $700 or so.

...no specific budget but with a desire to score on all the value monsters out there?
Check the deals of the week thread in the Electronics forum for some good deals. Also look to see what others are currently buying and what kinds of bargins they are getting.

#Shopping Online
If I buy from an online store, will I get a manufacturer's warranty?
If you buy from an authorized dealer, then yes (Make sure the manufacturer recognizes them as an authorized dealer). If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, then no. However, many unauthorized places will give a one-year warranty with their products but make sure to ask around as some places will give as short as a two-week warranty. Sometimes, even if you buy from a non-authorized dealer, you will be warrantied by the manufacturer, but this is not guaranteed and will depend on the situation. Your mileage may vary.

What are some good online stores that carry car S2000 specific stereo equipment?
Marks2002 makes the S-Pods for the S2000; PAS2KNut makes a spare tire amp rack and a flat cover for the trunk; Modifry makes the DCI (Dash Control Interface) to keep your dash controls with aftermarket HU's; and DJ Qube also makes a Dash Control Interface for keeping dash controls with aftermarket HU's.
Information on all these products can be found at this link here.
WLaurent makes sub enclosures for the S2000 that fit into the side wells of the trunk. They can hold just about any 8" sub, and a limited number of 10" subs. His products can be found here at this site.

What are some good online stores for stereo equipment?

Some people here have used these stores with different degrees of success, if you're hesitant, it wouldn't hurt to ask around about a certain store before buying.

Specific vendors cannot be referenced here due to sponsorship issues.

#More Information
Where can I get more information about car audio?

So I've whet your appetite for car audio but you still think this isn't quite enough?

If there's something about car audio/stereo that you're not quite sure about or if you'd just like to know more - check out Basic Car Audio for information that ranges from the very basic all the way to the very advanced.

#Alarms

Can anyone help me when installing an alarm in the S2000? Is there a how to guide out there?
William Laurent (WLaurent) long ago sold an alarm specific to the S2000 based upon DEI's Hornet 700T. When he was selling it, he wrote a GREAT guide for installing the alarm. The guide is specific to the system he sold, but it's very helpful in a number of ways. It includes color coding and wire location for most of the wires you need to connect an alarm.

Here is another thread related to that alarm that involves some excellent troubleshooting, and can be very helpful for other alarm installs.

I want to install an alarm, but I don't know what wires do what? HELP!

Here are 2 guides on wire colors and locations. For the most part they seem identical, but the first are for '04-'05 (not sure about '06). The second are for '00-'03 cars, and the only difference I can spot are some of the locations, size and color notes for specific plugs. It seems that the wire colors and rough locations remain the same from '00 to '05.

S2K'ing-IN-Spokane provided links to a chart that outlines 04/05 wiring colors and locations. It is printable and readily readable.
Wiring Diagram Part 1 and Wiring Diagram Part 2

Here is a chart that has been provided by another user (not personally verified) that lists DEI's wiring guide for the S2000. It should be helpful, but when in doubt use a multi-meter to verify or ask for clarification.
This was provided for mostly '00-'03 models.

[QUOTE]12volts white (x2) + ignition harness
Starter blue/white + L of column, lt blu 24P plug
Second Starter N/A
Ignition black/yellow + ignition harness
Second Ignition black/red + ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory white/red + ignition harness
Second Accessory N/A
Keysense red/white - ignition harness
Power Lock pink/black 5wi keyless entry module
Notes: The keyless entry module is located in the driver kick behind the start button.
Power Unlock yellow/green & pink/blue 5wi keyless entry module
Notes: The keyless entry module is located in the driver kick behind the start button.
Lock Motor pink/black 5wi keyless entry module
Unlock Motor yellow/green 5wi keyless entry module
Parking Lights+ red/black + keyless entry module
Parking Lights- blue - headlight switch
Hazards same as turn signals
Turn Signal(L) green/red + steering column
Turn Signal
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we need to start with the most basics of basics and ease into the more technical areas. This way we don't loose our reader right from the start, when all s/he wanted to find out was how to hook up an ipod.

edit: I think you did a great job phil. we certainly need and update.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:27 PM

i can email you the .txt file i used to make this one and you can cut it up if you'd like...

?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:34 PM

edit: i'll pm you some suggestions i might have
Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Former Moderator

Hey Philip

I have a number of quicky diagrams regarding speaker wiring in my gallery that you are free to use.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=m...lbum&album=3365

Hopefully you can link to it - it is public

The list of 8" subs that work well in small enclosures is huge depending on what people want to spend. I can make a list of ones I have tested if you like (there is actually some comparison charts in that album you can use if you like).
Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it looks great! Fantastic job!

But I think including any comerical links is against S2ki.com advertising rules.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:26 PM

These are commercial questions. We can't answer "what product do I buy if I've got $500?" if we can't name a product. If the rules say that answering that question is not allowed then the rules need to change.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM

Nice work, everyone, especially PJK3. Much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Former Moderator

I will make a sub section (ill send it to you phil) on how to take off every panel inside the car, and every panel required to remove in order to do an install. I know this will save people a lot of time and energy.....you guys think I should make one??

Quick Reply: S2000-specific Audio/Electronics FAQ v.2.37