S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown diff/axle?

Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Sounds like the diff to me. Typically the ring and pinion gear teeth sheer off as the typical failure on ap1 diffs because the end caps on the carrier bearing flex over hard use and this pulls the ring and pinion gear out of alignment and then they sheer. The end caps on the ap2 diff are beefier. If you have a tooth sheered off, its possible the diff could still be functional but would cause some noises. Ive blown 2 ap1 diffs and both essentially gave me little/no warning before they just let go completely.

Have you drained the diff oil to look for gear/metal chunks? Be first on my list before replacing anything.

If its clearly coming from a particular side, then you have a bearing/hub and brake system to inspect.
so when I was spinning the wheels, the axle spun regularly but the output shaft was clunking/unsmoothly rotating. So I need a new output shaft I would suppose
Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kJoshh
so when I was spinning the wheels, the axle spun regularly but the output shaft was clunking/unsmoothly rotating. So I need a new output shaft I would suppose
You mean the main driveline/shaft? Or the other half shaft/axle you didn't replace?

We have to get our terminology right before there is any chance at depicting where the issue is. I know there is a half dozen terms for the same thing regarding these parts.

Some small shavings are normal on the magnet drain plug in diff btw. If you have a giant gob/stack of actual individual shavings you can see rather then just a "goo" there may still be an issue there. But only a pic could really tell us who have a trained eye.

Something you can do IF im understanding your troubleshooting reference, is unbolt the main long driveline, and then turn the wheels and see if that isolates the noise/clunking. If the sound goes away, then you know its the driveline or trans. You can look at each end of the driveline joints for signs of metal shavings, or red powder, anything that gives away a failed bearing/joint.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You mean the main driveline/shaft? Or the other half shaft/axle you didn't replace?

We have to get our terminology right before there is any chance at depicting where the issue is. I know there is a half dozen terms for the same thing regarding these parts.

Some small shavings are normal on the magnet drain plug in diff btw. If you have a giant gob/stack of actual individual shavings you can see rather then just a "goo" there may still be an issue there. But only a pic could really tell us who have a trained eye.

Something you can do IF im understanding your troubleshooting reference, is unbolt the main long driveline, and then turn the wheels and see if that isolates the noise/clunking. If the sound goes away, then you know its the driveline or trans. You can look at each end of the driveline joints for signs of metal shavings, or red powder, anything that gives away a failed bearing/joint.
so what we did when the car was lifted was put it in gear and use gas to turn the wheels. Clunking was still there but the part connecting the axle to the differential, not the main drive shaft, but the output shaft as I was told from a few other people, was not spinning correctly. Out of gear I was able to hear it very very very very lightly like it was even barely there, spinning the wheels by hand. This is only the driver side and not the passenger side
Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

josh are you from buena park?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
josh are you from buena park?
no but I am from the I.E. why what's up
Old 02-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

just wondering if you were the same Josh that helped me remove and reinstall my cylinder head a decade ago.