Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The Formula 1 Thread - 2018

Old 07-09-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
I felt Kimi’s penalty stiff. Seb, though he had nothing to do with the incident, of course benefitted. I think, sometimes, you just chalk that stuff up to racing.

This!
Yes but he's still part of the team, think a bit about my football penalty analogy, that would really reign in the hot heads and still keep the racing enjoyable, whilst making it safer. And if he as you say benefited, then the incident had something to do with him even if he had nothing to do with the incident. If an attacker is taken out in the box, then the goalie at the other end is still penalised with the rest of the team.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Made the mistake of watching this ( nothing else on ) - confirmed again that it's as dull as ditchwater. Off back to MotoGP. Racing should be racing, a bit of contact should be inevitable, not punishable.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The penalty was right (more than Vettel got in France because Vettel lost out big time in that instance) and it had little effect in Kimi's position at the time.

However, I do think the time penalties should be applied at the end of the race, as Kimi's was largely negated by the safety car incidents.

The root cause of yesterday's incident was Hamilton's poor start. I don't think the overall result was affected but the crash.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I do think the time penalties should be applied at the end of the race, as Kimi's was largely negated by the safety car incidents.

The root cause of yesterday's incident was Hamilton's poor start. I don't think the overall result was affected but the crash.
Time penalties applied at the end of the race... now thAt’s interesting.

Hamilton’s start was horrendous. But, I do believe he had the pace to win. Had the Kimi incident not occurred, I feel he would’ve battled back to the lead, and barring poor race engineering on MB’s part, would’ve reigned champion.

But, this does make for a much more interesting season! I’ll simply echo that MotoGP is the bee’s knees for action; the ultimate Motorsport!!! And, two weekends ago in Assen was one for the books!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Made the mistake of watching this ( nothing else on ) - confirmed again that it's as dull as ditchwater. Off back to MotoGP. Racing should be racing, a bit of contact should be inevitable, not punishable.
Did you watch the entire race? The mid section of the race wasn't that interesting but the finale was great. The last 15 laps or so was AWESOME!

I think it's hilarious for anyone to think Ferrari gave team orders for Raikonen to take out Hamilton, maybe on the last race if the point totals were close, but come on; this is racing! Even Lewis thought about it and realized this by posting: "Kimi said sorry and I accept it and we move on. It was a racing incident and nothing more. Sometimes we say dumb s**t and we learn from it"

Old 07-10-2018, 12:43 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by [DELETED]

Time penalties applied at the end of the race... now thAt’s interesting.

Hamilton’s start was horrendous. But, I do believe he had the pace to win. Had the Kimi incident not occurred, I feel he would’ve battled back to the lead, and barring poor race engineering on MB’s part, would’ve reigned champion.

But, this does make for a much more interesting season! I’ll simply echo that MotoGP is the bee’s knees for action; the ultimate Motorsport!!! And, two weekends ago in Assen was one for the books!
The end of the race penalties might make things quite exciting, a race within a race. Could Bottas have stayed within X seconds of Kimi to take 3rd place?

It would also negate the benefit received from a safety car. In then end, Kimi's 10 second penalty made little difference to him.

Alternatively, drivers could be awarded half or three-quarters (or some appropriate fraction) of points.

So, instead of 15 points, Kimi might have received 12 or 10.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Did you watch the entire race? The mid section of the race wasn't that interesting but the finale was great. The last 15 laps or so was AWESOME!

I think it's hilarious for anyone to think Ferrari gave team orders for Raikonen to take out Hamilton, maybe on the last race if the point totals were close, but come on; this is racing! Even Lewis thought about it and realized this by posting: "Kimi said sorry and I accept it and we move on. It was a racing incident and nothing more. Sometimes we say dumb s**t and we learn from it"
Yep - the entire thing from start to finish. I think that's my point though, the last 15 laps WERE better than the previous laps ... but going by that, it doesn't need to be 51 laps or whatever it is. It's not that the racing isn't close or that there isn't skill involved, or high speeds etc etc. I just find it a bit sanitised, the cars sound dull and it's strategy over actual racing most of the time dumps a final nail in the coffin for me.

I appreciate that other people enjoy it, i used to enjoy it about 10 years ago but compared to motorbike racing, it's just not the same to watch, either on TV or live. I'll get out of the thread now
Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
Is there any suggestion that Kimi deliberately hit Lewis to gain team advantage?
I thought that I heard Lewis comment on strange tactics by others during his podium interview after he had got over his hissy fit. If so, not nice Lewis!
I find it strange that a racing accident is deemed to be punishable. But have long since given up on F1 regulations.
Hamilton is just a whinging little twat,,,a good driver spoiled by his constant moaning and accusations just like Stoner in was in MGP
Old 07-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Mega surreal experience watching the German grand Prix on RTL in a bar in Cologne! Two days ago our Rhine cruise went past the track by about ten miles. So another example of Schadenfreude so soon after the World Cup ... Bloody nice drop of beer though
​​​​​​​
Old 07-24-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Turned out to be a really interesting race and a good watch.

Quick Reply: The Formula 1 Thread - 2018