JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Intake Comparison

Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ASM, J's, Mugen... How about scratch that and put some Toda ITB's
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa. I actually like that PRM intake. I've never heard of it or seen it before until now. Does that thing have a filter? I'm guessing it's in the little CF section? I like the fact that people are saying it's louder than hell, I like the V2 because it's loud, if it's louder than that, I'd be a buyer real soon.

BTW, heat soak does look like a possible issue, but the stock intake takes air from the same location so i'm not sure how much worse it would be over stock.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 AM

i have an 02 w/ k&n fipk ver. II setup, very faily priced ($279 shipped off ebay), proven gains, easy install and it sounds awesome. yes i know the filter is exposed, but the heat box is a nice addition, especialy if you add some DEI sick-on heat wrapping to the full outer faces of the black box (as i did). helps deflect engine bay heat away which does seem to help out just a tad.

i can vouch for the air on/in the filter box being ambient or at least cooler than the rest of the engine bay area as i did some quick tested both by feel and with 2 thermometeres. best of all since its not 'cold air' and way down in yer bumper, its no worry for hydrolock if you daily drive your car and get stuck in the rain, and its easy to see/change/clean. best bang for your buck for an intake id say....else if you can get a replica snorkel+good filter element to replace the stock, do that.

seeing as some of these intakes go for insane money, it's retarded to spend on them, i dunno how ppl drop $400 for a snorkel or $1,000 for an intake lol. (yes they maaaybe slightly perform 1hp better or are carbon fibre, specially designed, blahblah...but on the road it barely makes **** all difference unless maybe you're at the track with yer car 80%+ of the time, but who is?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mujetdereh,Sep 2 2007, 08:22 PM
Doesnt really make sense to me, arnt all intakes the SAME SHIT (AEM/K&N/PRM the tube ones) and then all the carbon air duct ones are also all the same. I just want the best intake without having to spend fkin 3500$ on a damn piece of carbon fiber thats just ridiculous.
So you started this thread to find out the answer to a question, when you already knew the answer?

All the intakes are pretty similiar, ones with chambers have a little better throttle response as long as heat soak isn't an issue (ARC).

Snorkals have the same power maybe less on a dyno, but make the car feel better at speed. I have a CF cold air intake (E-autosports version) and I like it better at speed than the K&N FIPK I had before it, though throttle response felt marginally better with the K&N unit (unless the car had been sitting while running for a moment).

V2 Dyno's the highest of all that I have seen but it was only 2hp more than the FIPK and 5 HP more than the ARC.

Get the one you like the best or is within your budget, you are never going to notice/feel a 2hp difference

As far as sound is concerned I like the way the FIPK sounds more than the CF Snorkal.