NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

For those Gym Freaks...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K DRIFTER
Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc' timestamp='1333987084' post='21590195
I wish I had the time to get back to the gym. You guys are lucky. The only reason I ever really did it was stress relief.
No GTL? That's crazy, everyone should exercise. When I wasn't able to hit the gym, I would do push ups/pull ups in my house or near by park. Play a sport for cardio or ride a bike. If you can swim, even better. Start off 30 mins a day meng. Also, come play ball with me in Astoria :0)
Yeah I will be doing pushups and situps tonight as I watch the Knicks game. Everything was mad hectic this last year with a moving, new structure in my department at work and lot's and lot's of bbq/techdays at 234. Thank god the spring is here because I will be taking out my bike.

As for playing ball... I hyperextended my knee playing tackle football (with no equipment) in the rain years ago and every time I tried to play basketball after that I am limping the next day. Damn I am getting old Maybe after a few bike rides I will head to Astoria and meet up with you. I am there this weekend but for a family thing. Queens FTW!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on the weight loss thing since last summer, I'm down about 30 lbs.

I stopped drinking as much, ate healthier and started running. The difference in the way I feel is unbelievable.

I'm now focusing on adding muscle, I'll be using Jack3d as my pre workout supplement and just protein shakes afterwards. This mixed with a bump in cardio will hopefully make a difference.

Best of luck to you man!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 AM

[/quote]
Yeah I will be doing pushups and situps tonight as I watch the Knicks game. Everything was mad hectic this last year with a moving, new structure in my department at work and lot's and lot's of bbq/techdays at 234. Thank god the spring is here because I will be taking out my bike.

As for playing ball... I hyperextended my knee playing tackle football (with no equipment) in the rain years ago and every time I tried to play basketball after that I am limping the next day. Damn I am getting old Maybe after a few bike rides I will head to Astoria and meet up with you. I am there this weekend but for a family thing. Queens FTW!
[/quote]

Definitely work out your knees if you have knee problems. It sounds kinda backwards, but dont let your knees recover without exercising them. Dont go crazy with weights but cycling would really help your knees.

I screwed up my left knee a couple years ago squatting 315 lbs. Till this day I still hear a little pop when I crouch and stand. Had to lay off squats and switched to leg press with light weights. Feels a lot better and I'm back to squatting but not heavy and a wear a sleeve. I also make sure I stretch before and after my workouts.

Lets set up a basketball game, invite your 234 crew!

Almost forgot, take fish oil or flaxseed. And don't forget to take multivitamins with joint support
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nick.
I've been on the weight loss thing since last summer, I'm down about 30 lbs.

I stopped drinking as much, ate healthier and started running. The difference in the way I feel is unbelievable.

I'm now focusing on adding muscle, I'll be using Jack3d as my pre workout supplement and just protein shakes afterwards. This mixed with a bump in cardio will hopefully make a difference.

Best of luck to you man!
Nick congrats on your weight loss. Have you tried heavy weights for bulking? 5x5 or 4x6? I'm assuming you want to bulk on your upper body?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 AM

I do 5x5 and yes I am trying to bulk up my upper body, my legs are oddly strong so I don't focus too much on them haha

Let's play some ball!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 AM

I'm going to bulk towards the end of summer. I feel pretty good at this weight, faster, more elusive, and good stamina. Let's do a s2k/bball meet, where you located nick?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM

I'm in Whitestone, I'm down for a Saturday AM basketball meet. Where at? Gotta be centralized to Queens and LI
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 AM

I'm in Astoria Queens. Astoria park is near me, plenty of parking there on the strip which is near the courts and a pretty nice area. I'm also down to meet up where ever you guys are down to play. I'm free on the weekends, let's set something up.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2K DRIFTER
Definitely work out your knees if you have knee problems. It sounds kinda backwards, but dont let your knees recover without exercising them. Dont go crazy with weights but cycling would really help your knees.

I screwed up my left knee a couple years ago squatting 315 lbs. Till this day I still hear a little pop when I crouch and stand. Had to lay off squats and switched to leg press with light weights. Feels a lot better and I'm back to squatting but not heavy and a wear a sleeve. I also make sure I stretch before and after my workouts.

Lets set up a basketball game, invite your 234 crew!

Almost forgot, take fish oil or flaxseed. And don't forget to take multivitamins with joint support
LOL I know what you mean about the knee popping. Both my knees pop all the time. Sometimes just from getting up from my desk. I am down for a bball game once I can shed a little. I also went to my dr and was given some allergy meds to help with breathing. If I were to get on a court right now it would be shamefull I will try to tear the 234 guys away from the cooler and grill.

Back on topic, what is typical breakfast, lunch and dinner for you guys?

I used to have two hard boiled eggs followed by low fat/low sugar cereal with low fat milk for breakfast.

Turkey with one slice of lowfat cheese for lunch. Maybe a turkey burger. Also a piece of fruit and or yogurt for lunch. Sandwhiches mayo free of course.

Dinner was just a small steak or chicken with veggies. Bakes not fried.

I have to get back to watching what I eat but BBQ'ing and eating out a lot has really put the pounds back on.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM

If you're looking to tone up or lose some weight quick, you have to watch what you eat and exercise on a regular basis + high intensity interval training (HIIT) at the gym or at the park such as basketball, football, handball, soccer, etc. You can also jog or ride a bike but you wont burn a lot of calories unless you do it for a long period each time.

Breakfast = 2 hard boiled eggs minus yolk and a serving of oatmeal

Snack 2-3 hrs later = protein bar or an apple with some almonds (10-15)

Lunch 2-3 hrs later = chicken salad with very very light dressing

Snack 2-3 hrs later = chobani greek yogurt or a couple slices of turkey

An 1hr later gym (1-1/2 hrs). After I'll have a protein shake mixed with water

Dinner 1 hr later or so = Chicken and veggies

^^ Thats more or less what I been consuming lately

Quick Reply: For those Gym Freaks...