S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Add A Crossover to Stock Speakers

Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by osu1978
The head unit with built in crossover would allow you to apply whatever frequency point you would like to the stock mid range speakers (which is what you seem to be trying to accomplish from your first post). Since the tweeters are already filtered at high pass their frequency settings would not change at all by using the headunit's cross over unless you set the cross over point way too high. If you are planning to go further and buy a component system you don't have to go this route but it may still provide fine tuning in the future, even with components.

I understand how these cars are setup from factory and have installed numerous systems including in my s2000. I dont think you will be satisfied adding multiple passive crossovers to an already extremely weak factory radio and speakers. Just trying to provide you time saving options that will also provide some flexibility for upgrades in the future.
I think I see where the misunderstanding is. I was not looking to filter out lower frequencies to the entire channel but rather to filter out the higher frequencies from passing through to the midrange (what a passive crossover does in the door). That is all I was asking about. Setting a high-pass filter at the head unit would still allow the full spectrum above that filter point to pass to the midrange speaker. Since that speaker is not effective at reproducing sound in that range it is best to filter it out. That also prevents the midrange from competing with the tweeter in producing sound and possible producing interference.

Again, this is a purely academic discussion at this point. If the new head unit overdrives the OEM speakers then I will likely move on to upgrade to a set of aftermarket component speakers.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The mid range factory speaker is effective in handling frequencies approaching and into the higher range, much more than it trying to handle low frequencies. In fact, the system actually sounds like its matched well at lower volumes until the overall cheapness and lack of power lead to distortion when turning the volume up.

What you proposed above would pretty much kill an already crap factory stereo.

Typically passive crossovers in component speaker systems limit the low frequencies into both the tweeter (much more so) and the mid range. In these systems the mid range is often set to accept all mid to high frequencies (whether it can actually produce the highest frequency or not).
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Typically passive crossovers in component speaker systems limit the low frequencies into both the tweeter (much more so) and the mid range. In these systems the mid range is often set to accept all mid to high frequencies (whether it can actually produce the highest frequency or not).
I highly doubt you can find a high pass filter for any typical mid range speakers in a two way component system, can you show us an example?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
I highly doubt you can find a high pass filter for any typical mid range speakers in a two way component system, can you show us an example?
I agree. The crossovers I have contain exactly three components:

1. A capacitor which functions as a high pass filter. This is plumbed to the +0dB port for the tweeter (consistent with this: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...-pass-filters/)
2. An inductor which functions as a low pass filter. This is plumbed to the + port for the woofer (consistent with this: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...-pass-filters/)
3. A resistor which functions as a volume reduction feature. This is plumbed through the capacitor to the -3dB port for the tweeter.

There is no filter capacitor on the woofer circuit that would provide any high pass filtration. Granted this is on a rather old crossover but the basic philosophy is the same. If one wanted to prevent a set of components from producing sound below a certain frequency you would filter it at the source, not the crossover.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did read your post.

Easier to return the head unit and get one with built in crossovers for each channel. Much simpler than installing passive crossovers that will rob power and output from your setup plus you wont have to open up your doors.
I believe the built in crossovers in head units only work thru the preamp outputs when running an outboard amp, not thru the head units built in amplification.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Filtering at the source is what I mentioned in my first post about a head unit that has built in electronic cross overs. That way you maintain speaker efficiency by not adding additional passive crossovers and at the same time cut out the bass from the stock midrange that cant handle it.

I don't believe my current Focal components have a high pass to the midrange but I handle the filtering at the head, 60Hz, 12db slope. Maybe you are right about there being no high pass on the midrange but I am pretty sure my Diamond components had it back in the day but that was just an overpriced mistake.

Honestly, if I were you, and not looking to build a killer system, just pick up a set of the Polk components that apparently drop right in or at least work with little modification. Use the head unit you already bought and see how it works.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by oneaudiopro
I believe the built in crossovers in head units only work thru the preamp outputs when running an outboard amp, not thru the head units built in amplification.
Thats a great point point. I was told this was not the case with Kenwood x998 but I have never tested my head unit without amps so it would be a good idea to check the manual before buying to make sure.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by jwzimm
I agree. The crossovers I have contain exactly three components:

1. A capacitor which functions as a high pass filter. This is plumbed to the +0dB port for the tweeter (consistent with this: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...-pass-filters/)
2. An inductor which functions as a low pass filter. This is plumbed to the + port for the woofer (consistent with this: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...-pass-filters/)
3. A resistor which functions as a volume reduction feature. This is plumbed through the capacitor to the -3dB port for the tweeter.

There is no filter capacitor on the woofer circuit that would provide any high pass filtration. Granted this is on a rather old crossover but the basic philosophy is the same. If one wanted to prevent a set of components from producing sound below a certain frequency you would filter it at the source, not the crossover.
The filters you are describing are first order filters or sometimes referred to as 6dB filters.
On most mid level or more expensive systems you will find second order filters (12dB per octave) which contains both a capacitor and a inductor in both the low and high pass filters.
There are more advanced filters than that also but I'll leave it there, just wanted to give a quick tip to maybe help avoid misunderstandings.