S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Cooler Radio

Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to go with a yellow jumpsuit with black stripes. but... red is pretty flashy.

Actually, i think im going to get ridiculous with this idea and do some fiberglass work. going to make a boom tube. I really just need to figure out a way to power the whole deal for atleast 6-8 hours. screw cheapo stuff. Im going to need some waterproof outdoor speakers
Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Dude, you don't need all that fancy weatherproof speakers in stuff. We float the Guadalupe atleast 4 times a year and actually we are going June 20th-23rd. We made a boom box last year and it worked perfectly. Get a tool boxes big enough to hold a car battery in the middle of it. Install speakers on the sides with access to the HU. A fully charged car battery lasted us from Friday night, floating sat. sat night, floating sunday, and sunday during the day, without recharging. We had 2 6x9s facing out and two 8 inch subs facing up, worked perfect. I will send you pics vis e-mail cause I have yet to figure out how to post pics on the forum.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 AM

nice idea with the toolbox JJ...I'd like to see some pics of that as well.

I made a cooler radio with a wood box to house the speakers and HU and mounted that to the top of the cooler lid. It wasn't very rugged and eventually got ruined when the lid mounts broke down, but it was nice being able to control the radio with a remote and not touch any of it. Lasted a few seasons so I figure it was worth it. It was very loud with the HU pushing the crappy regular car speakers with bass turned off, but as you can imagine didn't sound great minus all bass.

I considered building something with an 8" or two, but with time running short til my trip to the frio I decided just the order a cheap amp which I'll hook a cheap mp3 player to along with 2 pairs of 6.25" components. I'll cut holes for the speakers in the sides of the cooler.

This design will sound a lil better though because I can use the high pass filter to block only the low frequency bass that the crappy speakers can't reproduce instead of ALL of the bass, plus I'll be able to provide them with their full 80w rms instead of the 17w (guesstimate) that the HU was putting out to each (so it should be much louder).

As for annoying other tubers...in my experience with the radio as long as you play some good ole fashioned country drinking music everyone on the river will be crowding around your party and trying to keep up. Seems more like they're pleased that I brought it rather than annoyed.

Sure, you could buy something already made, but I doubt you'll find something nearly as loud plus you don't get the praise for your creation or the enjoyment of the building process.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 PM

exactly herbally... that is minus that country. I guess being in Austin though we gather a different crowd. Club hits and some good ol Chili Peppers gets the crowd fired up and the liquor flowing. but like you said, the louder the better, and the bigger the crowd. Im going to start with a cooler-- and make my way to a dome shaped design later once i get some nerver for fiberglassing.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM

lol...my plan for the original cooler design was to use fiberglass instead of wood for obvious reasons and it didn't go so well. Then again, I have a tendency to plan on starting my designs months and months in advance and then actually starting them two weeks before the trip. So time is always of the essence.

good luck with that