S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is my subwoofer blown?

Old 03-08-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the amp in question was installed on my friends own sub, not the blown one.

he's done installs for circuit city for 4+ years
Old 03-09-2004, 09:34 AM

When I sold him the amp, I included a 4 gauge wiring kit for free. It was in perfect condition, do you think that the 8 gauge had an effect on how the amp performed?

when I sold you the amp, it worked fine for the whole time I had it. I never blew one fuse.
Dustin stated earlier, that the amp worked fine. Now the amp keeps blowing fuses? That has something to do with the install.
Like I told Dustin, the amp was check by a friend who has worked for an local audio shop for more than 7 years. I don't think I should refund his money, when one time it worked, then on the next install it doesn't.
I had no clue the sub was blown, and it still hit hard so I thought it was fine. I never listened the sub with the trunk open to hear any additional sounds. Also, I took the sub out of the box to find the volume of the box. While the sub was out, I inspected the coils and they were all connected. For all the trouble he has had, I told dustin, I would refund him $120 to buy a new sub.

I am not the type of person that trys to screw anyone over and sell someone something that doesn't work. I have lost over $800 buying something that didn't work, so I know how it feels. I have an 85 positive feedback on Ebay (s2kvisions). I don't have a problem refunding the sub, cause it's only about $100 for just the sub. I honestly think the amp was damaged on the 2nd install of dustin's friend cause it worked fine before.

what does everyone think?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not there to inspect the amp or the install myself... nor can i inspect the sub... if AP1_Rock will drive it to BR, LA - i'll take a peak , but i'm thinking he probably doesn't want to make the trip...

there's a lot that can or might go wrong in transport, installation, and application... too many variables for me to even begin to work on remotely.

i'm out for now... sorry.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:23 PM

we installed the amp on my friends car with the 4gauge you provided Hal, the initial install went fine except for a buzzing noise which we think is a bad ground plus the fans running.

he fixed the ground the following day.

we'll work something out, but so far Hal has been upfront and quick to respond about everything. This post is by no means a way to deface him, so don't get it twisted . The amp install on my friend's car will be double checked tonite.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will be more than willing to help troubleshoot anything, BUT please do not ask me to assign any blame or make any moral judgements....

ok?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:46 PM

the fuses were replaced and we tried to run the amp again, this time it smoked(the amp) and both fuses blew again.

the fuse on the power cable has not blown(the one that goes to the battery), but the 2 fuses(40amp each) on the amp have blown twice. I don't see how this could be a wire problem or faulty installation.

also, why would you get the amp checked to see if it worked if you've been using it successfully? sounds weird to me.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:41 PM

i got it checked just to make sure. I uninstalled it myself, so I just wanted to make sure. Since my friend works at a local audio shop, I figured it wouldn't hurt since I uninstalled it myself.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:38 AM

it sounds like you have it wired incorrectly to the sub if the amp fuses are blowing and the amp powers up correctly off a 4 gauge kit

how do you have it set up, because as shown in the picture you are running it bridged and according to your specs, mono which is only 4 ohm stable in mono mode

so what are the ohms of the dvc coils, unless you are running it in parallel for 2 8ohm coils or in series for 2 2ohm coils you could be frying the amp by wiring it to low, and in my experiences in which i have blown fuses (far too many) it was usually me doing something late at night and wiring the sub (or the amp to the sub) not the amp incorrectly