S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

so i installed my stereo yesterday,

Old 06-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thats what i figured. and in that case, yes, they are the OEM.

one thing i was thinkin earlier about the speakers. ive got them powered by an amp, so they arent gettin signal from the HU. if the HU was wired to send signal to the speakers, would that be a possible cause for my problem?

thanks

james
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

did you run the rca's next to the power wire? if so move them to the opposite side of the car. that should help. at least move the rca's that are for the amp that powers the door speakers.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shotgunjimmy,Jun 29 2008, 09:28 PM
^ thats what i figured. and in that case, yes, they are the OEM.

one thing i was thinkin earlier about the speakers. ive got them powered by an amp, so they arent gettin signal from the HU. if the HU was wired to send signal to the speakers, would that be a possible cause for my problem?

thanks

james
A ground loop (what you have) is when your HU and Amplifier or HU and negative battery terminal or Amplifier and neg batt terminal are at different ground levels (resistance between any pair is >4 ohms). This resistance causes a voltage drop, causing a current flow where there shouldn't be one. This current flow is amplified by the amp because it can't distinguish between audio signal and this current - so the amp pushes it to the speakers, where it becomes a high pitched whine due to the high frequency of the current...

Check your grounds. Just because it's shiny around your ground points doesn't mean they're solid grounds. You have to strip away multiple layers of paint and rust-proofing to get to bare metal. This is why I advocate using a sheet-metal screw and it's own, purpose drilled hole. The threads on the screw will make solid contact with the internal section of the sheet metal providing a more solid ground.

If you lived closer, I'd offer to ohm it all out for you - but Ark is a bit of a drive from NY...lol

It's also possible that you have a bad amplifier or HU (loose ground inside). You might also check your speaker wires to make sure they don't contact any metal anywhere.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're using a DCI, my guess would be the speed sensitive volume. Other than that, check the wiring.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:25 PM

no DCI here. will be checking all the grounds this weekend when i fininsh mounting my sub. the ground loop is tolerable for now, becuase it cant be heard when the stereo is cranked with the top down.

just want to say thanks to all the replies. its all been great advice and i really apprecate it!

also, nuetured sputniks: the power wire is running down the passenger side, and all other wires are run on the pass side of the trans tunnel as far as possible. they dont really get close to each other until the reach the spare tire, and ive got them about as far apart as i can have them until they get to the amp.

thanks

james
Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 PM

just an update,

i regrounded the amps today, got down to bare metal, just like i should of done in the first place. when that didnt work, i decided id just go to radio shack for a line filter. put it on and the whine is gone! woot! woot!

thanks again for all the help! you guys/this forum are great!

james