S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

DocTronics Plug & Play Honda S2000 ECU for 2000-05 Models

Old 12-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PND and PRA are essentially the same; the former is from an automatic while the later is from a manual. I have a PND ECU but I'm running a PRB based
With PRA/PND, you are the stock S2000 upstream sensor for closed loop operation and fueling, while with PRB you are using a Honda Wideband, or an aftermarket wideband.

PM or Facebook message b.r.i.a.n. tuning, he might be able help you out with a remote map to get you started and idling correctly.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for your help. I did not understand everything about PND, PRA, PRB : I think it is above my skills
Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's just a product code that tells you what kind of ECU it is.
They all come from k-series cars, like Civic Type-R (PRA) or RSX Type-S (PRB).
The following users liked this post:
pizzai69 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzai69
Oh that is interesting. But with shipping to France & Import charges it costs near $840 total...
I had planned to buy one in a few months, so I am hesitating for this offer...
Do you know if there is an available basemap for a supercharged S2000 ? (rotrex C30-94 in my case)
I looked at the "basemap.zip" download on the doctronic official website, but there are only two things for s2k:
S2k_PND
S2k_PRA

And I don't know what this is...

Actually, my local tuner is quite expensive (price per hour!), so I would like to find a basemap that he would only have to "adjust", because it will cost me a lot if he has to create all the map "from zero"...
I'd be more than happy to give you my tuning map from my '04 S2k. It has all the usual bolt-ons plus a SOS Stage 2 at 10-12psi. I don't know if it will help, but I will be tuning something within the next month or so. Contact me in about a month.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tut4u2
y 2 studs are used, while the top stud is not. Lastly, the harness is bulky and its cramped in the footwell. When you reinstall the plastic cover, there's a plastic clip that holds the cover in by your foot; I was not able to install that clip, but the cover is still held in securely and doesn't hit my foot.

Updates are available on the download section of the Doctronic site: LINK Latest update for the software is on 11/11. Uploading/downloading the maps from the ECU is super quick as well. The first time you do it during a session takes little longer (around 15 seconds), but once it caches the data it takes less than 5 seconds. Do not quote me on the times, but its fast.
I emailed Christian Dorner, the originator of the Doctronics about adding a TPS sensor for the VTEC window. Here is my email and his reply. Tell me what you think. (He seems to imply that the Hondata software does not have the TPS parameter either. Is this correct?).

My email:

Christian,
I have the ProECU-S2K and am very happy with it but for one thing.
Regarding the VTEC window....The S2000 is geared pretty tall, meaning it runs pretty high rpms, even in 6th gear on the highway.
It would be very useful to add a parameter for the TPS. As it is now, after tuning, the VTEC engagement rpm is usually around 4400rpm. That puts it at fast highway cruising speeds here in the US of about 120kph (75mph).
This means that it will switch to the high cam under partial throttle while just driving normally.
I believe most of the other tuning software out there (AEM, Hondata) contain a TPS sensor parameter for VTEC so that we can keep VTEC off unless we are above 50% throttle for example.
Could you please add a setting in the software for VTEC to include the TPS?
Thank you very much for producing this cool product.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

His reply:

Hi!

For this reason Honda has the VTEC window. When cruising (low TPS) you have a higher vacuum as when running on high load (mostly open TPS or running uphill). You just need to set the VTEC window with the desired parameters. Please see the attached image.
On high load (over 750mBar) the VTEC will activated at 4359 RPM (= rounded 4400).
On load load, i.e. cruising (below 300mBar) the VTEC will activated at 6363 (=rounded 6400).
On other loads between this two point the VTEC Window uses the other values of the Table. You can change all these values to your need.

Hondata uses the same on KPro, just with less parameters.
AEM i'm not sure, but i think they can switch by RPM, MAP and TPS.

If you still cannot get it to work, we can add a min TPS for VTEC, too. But usually (ok, supercharger can be different) the VTEC window is enough to set high load vs. cruising VTEC.

best regards,
Christian Dorner

Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 AM

That is very nice, thanks a lot. If necessary I will contact you later
Actually, I already have an AEM EMS V1 with a supercharged s2k map inside. At first, I wanted to use it and just take it to a pro to "re-tune" it on my car.
But I am interested in the Doctronic solution because I would like to keep OBD2 to pass the technical inspection every 2 year in France. The problems with it are:
- have to buy it
- have a tune from zero, and my tuner asks for a lot of money for that.

So if I can find a "supercharged s2k" basemap, that would sure help
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM

Kmanager does not use TPS for the VTEC transition, it's MAP just like Doctronics seems to use.
MAP is usually the best solution and looking at the settings window it seems Doctronics have more than enough settings to achieve what most would need.
Wonder if tut4u2 has missed that VTEC window setting?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I adjusted the RPMs but neglected to adjust the MAP portion of the VTEC window; if I adjust the MAP as well that should take care of my issue.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 PM

Good news
But what about that:
Originally Posted by davidc1
But usually (ok, supercharger can be different) the VTEC window is enough to set high load vs. cruising VTEC.
Is this working for supercharged s2k or not ?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 PM

Supercharged or not, it wont be a problem.

Quick Reply: DocTronics Plug & Play Honda S2000 ECU for 2000-05 Models