S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Novi 1200 CT-E Kit Contact With Front Cross Beam

Old 02-15-2018, 08:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin
Yes I realize silicone couplers are all over. I like the ones CT makes because they are thin walled. The couplers are the biggest pita as far as getting everything taken apart and back together again. A typical (1/4"?) thick wall would make this even less pleasurable. I may have found a site with thin-walled couplers but I will have to go back and check... fixing the car and heckling CT is not priority right now, as I have better (fun) things to work on. And sorry, I was referring to the idler/tensioner pulley. It is simple enough to buy a matching bearing, but they fuse it right into the pulley plastic. I'm not messing around with grinding/heating/whatever to replace it, so they sort of require you buy the whole wheel. Luckily they don't force you to buy the arm as well.
When my idler/tension pulley went out I went to my local parts store and had them look up a company that makes these. I think I ended up ordering a slightly larger 4" from Statco? I forget the brand as its been a long time, but point being, these can be had without going through CT. Likely the same pulley, just a lot more expensive going through CT. The 4" worked better anyway, spreading out the tension over the belt more then the 3". They are the same plastic pulley with bearings in them, just bring your old one in to measure the bolt hole that runs through the bearing and the width/size of the pulley and specify if you want it with or without side lip to retain the belt position better. Id opt for the non lip like what comes with the CT kit so it can float a little bit and not risk getting chewed up if there is slight misalignments on your blower and crank pulley.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-15-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
When my idler/tension pulley went out I went to my local parts store and had them look up a company that makes these. I think I ended up ordering a slightly larger 4" from Statco? I forget the brand as its been a long time, but point being, these can be had without going through CT. Likely the same pulley, just a lot more expensive going through CT. The 4" worked better anyway, spreading out the tension over the belt more then the 3". They are the same plastic pulley with bearings in them, just bring your old one in to measure the bolt hole that runs through the bearing and the width/size of the pulley and specify if you want it with or without side lip to retain the belt position better. Id opt for the non lip like what comes with the CT kit so it can float a little bit and not risk getting chewed up if there is slight misalignments on your blower and crank pulley.
Good to know. Thanks, I think I will try that avenue.

Luke, you taking this all in? Not a complete thread-jack, it's all pertinent!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

My NOVI-1000 did that and it was blown motor mounts. Probably drove around like that for 40K, hard to tell with s2ks it seems.

With new OEM mounts im a pinky gap between the beam and NOVI-1000

NM, you replaced your mounts.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin
Good to know. Thanks, I think I will try that avenue.

Luke, you taking this all in? Not a complete thread-jack, it's all pertinent!
No worries lol. My novi 1200 kit only has about 200 miles on it so far, so it's pretty fresh. I don't think any of the bushings are worn out. Still waiting to get some free time to check out my issue... I might end up just bending the front portion of the cross beam to clear, although it's not ideal.

Regarding CT-Engineering, good luck. It took me an entire year to receive my kit from them after ordering it. It was like pulling teeth in order to get any status updates, which resulted only in shallow excuses. I heard from my tuner that they downsized by quite a bit and Nate wears a lot of hats, so he's kind of a one man show there.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The kit has some adjustment/slack

When looking at the front of the engine/motor, the right hand side mount can be “clocked” slightly different (the one above the alternator)

If you loosen all the main mounts bolts and turn the right mount anti clock wise slightly it will raise the angled of the kit.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually took the blower off today to inspect the bushings in the mounting plate, try the alternator bracket re-clocking, etc. Here's what I've concluded:
1) The bushings look fine & don't show any signs that it was the culprit.
2) Alternator bracket re-clocking to get some vertical adjustment on the driver side of the mounting plate helped slightly, but it doesn't give enough adjustment to clear the cross beam enough, imo. Also, if you clock it counterclockwise too much, you might have an issue with the other bolts for the mounting plate lining up with the VTEC mounting block.
3) The addition of the spoon rigid collars is what is causing this. I'm thinking that the stock CTSC kit has it where the blower barely clears the cross beam & anything else to disturb this, no matter how small (like erm, spoon rigid collars), will cause an interference under certain conditions where the engine is loaded and shifted to the front, such as hard braking or quickly letting off the gas after accelerating.

My solution to all this was to simply bend the front portion of the cross beam forward to the clear the blower. While not ideal, I already did that on the aft portion of the beam to clear the oil drain line, so why not commit lol. If any of you are considering the CTSC kit + spoon rigid collars, be wary of this. The spoon rigid collars will lower the subframe by the same thickness of the collar, thus lowering the engine & blower with it. Note that I have brand new OEM engine mounts, so this problem might be worse for those who have used, worn, saggy, etc. engine mounts.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Community Organizer

^^^ Makes sense. Yes there isn't much clearance to start with.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by uhohitzluke
No worries lol. My novi 1200 kit only has about 200 miles on it so far, so it's pretty fresh. I don't think any of the bushings are worn out. Still waiting to get some free time to check out my issue... I might end up just bending the front portion of the cross beam to clear, although it's not ideal.

Regarding CT-Engineering, good luck. It took me an entire year to receive my kit from them after ordering it. It was like pulling teeth in order to get any status updates, which resulted only in shallow excuses. I heard from my tuner that they downsized by quite a bit and Nate wears a lot of hats, so he's kind of a one man show there.
Just to close the loop on my half-hijack, Advanced Auto Parts seemed to have a good selection of plastic pulleys on the shelf. Picked this one up for $18 (vs $60 from CT). It's 1/2" wider in diameter at 3.5". Should work fine.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Community Organizer

^^^ That's what i did as well when mine burned up as I mentioned previously. I went to a even larger 4" pulley if I recall. Keep in mind this will have an effect on your adjustment throw and belt length you may use.