S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

What do you suggest for my goals?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you suggest for my goals?

So to much wasted research has shown me that it's not even worth the time to try to chase power goals staying N/A. So here I am. I'm probably not the typical person to find in here as my goals are a bit different. My drag racing days are behind me and I am more into road course racing now. Me and a buddy spent the better part of a 10 hour trip yesterday discussing this same topic. (God I wish there was a lcoal car I could ride in that was boosted). My goals are kind of simple but have some specifics I am looking at.

It doesn't have to be a CARB legal kit but that would be a plus. I am looking to be around 280-300 whp MAX. The reasoning for this is that I want to be able to track the car with no major issues. Not only with mechanical reliability but drivability as well. I'm not looking for something that will make boost way up high and kill corner exit with massive traction loss. I prefer something around 8psi that would just put the car closer to where it should have been from the factory. I can tail a mustang like crazy in the corners, only to get left behind on the straights again lol. I am trying to find a solution under $5k as I know prices very greatly depending on who you buy from. I was thinking a small turbo such as the greddy kit. I want to buy a kit that comes with everything needed basically. It seems like the Greddy EMU that comes with the greddy kit also includes a carb legal tune. I think (But could be wrong) that some of the supercharger kits do as well. I have seen alot of turbo systems that include tunes (for other vehicles) that are perfectly safe tunes to continue using. Is the Greddy tune like this? I know more power can be had with a better tune, but I am not looking for huge power gains. The main concern with the supercharger kits is they use a aftercooler, which seems like it would not work well with the constant heat from track use. Not to mention it seems like it would cause alot of drag on the motor when not in boost, trying to turn the exctra belt and pulleys and such.Any input would be great. And Thanks for taking the time to read all this!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should get a Supercharger.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

under 300whp max? Well you can certainly do 400whp without any problems at all. It's only past there I'd even consider ANY problems possible to arise that couldn't arise at 300whp.

However, if you keep it at 300whp you could have a VERY street/track friendly turbocharger that will provide far more torque than the supercharger would.

A turbo setup will cost you a bit more than the supercharger setup IF you want to do it right and have it reliable for track usage. Primarily keeping things cool is the factor that decides turbo reliability. The tune of course is key for any setup so that's assumed.

You could have a GT28RS or something close to that to provide nearly instant spool in a S2K. It'd be limited to 350hp max but that's past your goals so that seems pretty reasonable for you and it's affordable. At your power goals you could keep a typical size exhaust diameter and really not need to change much at all other than just adding the kit on. This would be a very simple setup.

The turbo will provide more power across the board, it'll feel like a V-6 instead of a high horsepower I-4 which is what the supercharged setups feel like. It's nice to have peak hp hit at 6k or so and stay till redline, you'll never get that with a supercharger though you will get nice linear power delivery.

I'd personally say go turbo if you're mechanically inclined enough to tinker with things such as checking manifold bolts, checking BOV units and listening for boost leaks etc, things that may or may not arise with time. If you just want to set it and forget about it go supercharged as they're more care-free without a doubt.

If you're interested in a <350whp turbo setup I'm selling my old setup which is exactly that. Good for 350hp max but amazingly fast spooling and great for track use. Small charge pipes, 350hp max intercooler, log manifold which is dependable but not good for high horsepower etc. That means less piping and such to charge and faster spool times to full boost.

Whichever direction you go, be sure it's your final move, don't build it out twice as I am now doing. $$$

-Greg
Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run and installed many FI kits including the Greddy, Inline Pro, Mase, Speed Craft, PFab, AFI, SOS, Vortech, Comptech, Custom kits......and most recently a PTuning. My new build is going to be using a SOS Supercharger kit as I am more focused at tracking the car now. There is no question that a Turbo is more fun around town, faster at the drag strip and has more potnetial and flexibility. Unfortunatly the spool and transient responce will always be is biggest downfall with heat the second and the thrid is the issue of complexity. A supercharger does not suffer from any of these issues and on the S2000 had been proven very reliable.

If I was in your shoes I would go with an SOS kit with the 1200 external lube, larger heat exchanger and call it a day. This will make great power leave you pleanty of head room if you want to upgrade and reliable ( with respect to forced induction). The kit really shines in the quality of the braketry and how easy it is to tention the belt and change the pullies (Unlike Vortech).

You can check out my build thread, I am working with SOS now for a custom 1500 external lube kit and should be hitting the track soon