S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

New Owner - Convertible Boot Question

Old 04-02-2001, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new owner, I dropped the top for the first time on Saturday. I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this board about the boot cover not fitting right. Well, I took mine out of the trunk and set it on the floor for 2 days, then set it in the sun on a 75 degree day for a couple of hours before I tried to put it on. The snaps lined right up, and it only took me about 2 minutes to attach them. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how the cheesey plastic tabs are supposed to hold the boot cover down in the rear. The top is fully retracted, and I even pressed on the top to make sure that it was down all of the way. The boot is barely making contact with the top. I just don't see how those little plactic tabs are supposed to keep the cover down at speed. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2001, 06:56 AM

Snap it on and tuck the edges in all around. Sometimes the "cheesey" tabs may come out at high speed, but the boot stay on. Nothing else you can do.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 PM

I tried putting on the boot the other day for the first time, and can't seem to figure out how to snap it on behind the rear seat headrest area. It didn't seem to extend far enough down to allow me to snap it in. I had no problem though snapping it in by the doors. Did you have any issue with this? It also didn't seem like there was a lot of room to work in that area.

I hope that when the boot is heated from the warm sun that it will become easier to work with and put on.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcharri
I tried putting on the boot the other day for the first time, and can't seem to figure out how to snap it on behind the rear seat headrest area. It didn't seem to extend far enough down to allow me to snap it in. I had no problem though snapping it in by the doors. Did you have any issue with this? It also didn't seem like there was a lot of room to work in that area.

I hope that when the boot is heated from the warm sun that it will become easier to work with and put on.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Locate the snaps on the car first. Then line up the snaps on the boot cover. When the boot sits in the warm sun it well relax and be easier to work with. When storing, I usually leave it unfolded in my garage. This way it is easier to work with when cold.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 193 Likes on 102 Posts

I tried putting on the boot the other day for the first time, and can't seem to figure out how to snap it on behind the rear seat headrest area. It didn't seem to extend far enough down to allow me to snap it in.
Many tops do not completely, properly lower due to two fabric elastics which wear out and then impedes proper lowering of the top. If you don't know what to look for, you might not even realize it isn't properly lowered. If it isn't properly lowered, the convertible top cover is difficult to put on.

Do a search here on Modifry top straps. I think you'll find pictures which will show the problem. It made a huge difference on my top lowering better when I installed those.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Many tops do not completely, properly lower due to two fabric elastics which wear out and then impedes proper lowering of the top. If you don't know what to look for, you might not even realize it isn't properly lowered. If it isn't properly lowered, the convertible top cover is difficult to put on.

Do a search here on Modifry top straps. I think you'll find pictures which will show the problem. It made a huge difference on my top lowering better when I installed those.
Second this. I had the same problem, and it took me forever to figure it out. When you put the top down, make sure the rearmost cross bar folds back as the top goes down (you may need to help it if the elastic's worn out). Modifry's fix did the trick, and now the tonneau cover fits like a glove. Except for those stupid tabs.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticd00d
Second this. I had the same problem, and it took me forever to figure it out. When you put the top down, make sure the rearmost cross bar folds back as the top goes down (you may need to help it if the elastic's worn out). Modifry's fix did the trick, and now the tonneau cover fits like a glove. Except for those stupid tabs.
To get the tabs to stay under the rear lip, I usually push the boot down to flatten it out a bit and usually that pushes the tabs out enough to stay put.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried putting on the boot the other day for the first time, and can't seem to figure out how to snap it on behind the rear seat headrest area. It didn't seem to extend far enough down to allow me to snap it in. I had no problem though snapping it in by the doors. Did you have any issue with this? It also didn't seem like there was a lot of room to work in that area. I hope that when the boot is heated from the warm sun that it will become easier to work with and put on. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
There have discussions on this in Interiors. One issue is stretched elastic straps over the driver and passenger heads. They pull the front section of the top back during retraction. If your straps are stretched try gently pushing the front section back as the top is retracting. I found that allowed my top to lay 1-2 inches lower and the behind the seats snaps are very accessible. There are DIY threads on replacing the elastic straps.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM

The web site at www.modifry.com/products/ctf/index.htm sells the improved straps. I'm going to order a pair. Based on the great info from all of your post, I was able to guide that one bar down when retracting the top so that it would go "fully" down, but I would rather the straps do it for me versus me having to do so manually every time. Best regards to everyone.