S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Bypass Seat belt retractor, seat belt sensor, and position sensor AP2

Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Bypass Seat belt retractor, seat belt sensor, and position sensor AP2

Hi all,

I have an '06 track car I commute to and from the track. I have an aftermarket Sparco seat, roll bar, and harness installed with no issues. My goal is to remove the driver OEM seat belt retractor, seat belt sensor, and seat position sensor and to fool the car in thinking they are still connected. This has been done in an Ap1, but not an Ap2 I believe. The reason to do this is to ensure the airbag will still deploy even with the three components removed.

I have found other threads talking about this but with no conclusion of how to fool the computer using resistors + diodes in thinking that the sensors are plugged into the components:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...-sort-1057693/
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...utions-775759/

These are the components I want to by-pass:
Seat belt retractor (three wires, yellow plug)
Seat belt latch sensor
Seat position sensor

I hope there is someone who can explain what to do to bypass these sensors in an effort to share this with others going through the same situation.
Cheers!

Last edited by weenrock; 07-05-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Anyone?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my seats- disconnected and removed all the seatbelt stuff- no beeping ever. As far as airbag stuff goes I don’t think that would affect them at all. I have my airbags completely disconnected tho also just to note
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 AM

My problem is that I am keeping the airbags until I start trailering the car to and from the track. Otherwise, I would have pulled everything out. Goal is to keep airbags, but bypass the driver side seat belt sensor, driver seat seat position sensor, and driver side seat belt retractor. Otherwise, I would have pulled everything out.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Lex

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This topic is like one of those mythical stories. I've tried to figure this out many times in the past when replacing my OEM seats with PP's. I also have an 06 Ap2 so I feel your struggle. What I did for the driver side was keep all the sensors under the seat plugged in. The chime never beeps b/c I have an additional seatbelt extension connected to the driver side sensor receptacle, therefore it's as if the seatbelt is always connected. Now, I don't know if this method allows my airbag to function properly, but I do know the seatbelt functions as intended bc it tightens/locks in place as it should when turning or braking.

To be clear, I used two driver side seatbelt extensions when I installed my PP's. One of which is always plugged into the original seatbelt sensor receptacle and essential sits under the seat and the other is connected to the Ballade Sports Rails.

The passenger side is another story. That's where it becomes difficult due to the weight sensor. I think ballade sports has figured out a way to use the OEM seat rails to allow the use of the sensor and airbag functionality for 2006+ Ap2's. I think that's actually a great alternative, but I am sure theirs a really smart tech guy or engineer on the forums that has figured out a way of doing it.

The passenger side, that's a whole different story. I just pulled the airbag bulb out b/c
Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 AM

This is sort of how I have mine set. The weight sensor is just zip tied under the rail, the oem seat belt is clipped in but not used (just sits behind the seat), and the seat belt retractor is connected but not used. This all to fool the car in thinking everything is connected.

I am more so concerned with ensuring the SRS system is working since I drive it to and from the track. Eventually I will pull it all out because I won't need it. For now, I want it working. Anyone try to use a multimeter to figure out if some resistors+diodes will help bypass it?