S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Electronic Hobbyist looking to have some fun!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I have the AP1 schematics (ETM) and going through some of the ideas on paper.

I am currently pulling the engine to sell for the swap but that should not stop most of the ideas!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see an updated gauge cluster utilizing a LED display, running Android Auto or Apple's Carplay. The single din radio space could be abandoned, and Qube Engineering's audio control would be the main control source: Qube Engineering - Qube's Audio Control for the Honda S2000

Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got one for ya. You know how with the AP2 tail lights the LED running lights make a ring around the main brake light? Make a mod to put an LED ring around the turn signals as well.

It would have to be custom to make it look right, the ring around the turn signal is slightly smaller than the brake lamp so its not as easy as pulling the LED ring out of another set of tails.
The number of LEDs in the ring and position of each LED would need to match up to the OEM LEDs to make it look good.

I think someone has done this in the past as a DIY, but if you were up to it, I think you could easily sell custom PCBs loaded up with LEDs for DIY install.

Another Idea may be an LED retrofit for AP1 taillights. I think a lot of people just put LED bulbs in or change to AP2 tail lights but you never know.

Have you seen the Qube engineering gauge cluster LED mods? All I can think when I see a picture of their PCB it is it needs RGB LEDs and integration with information coming from the cluster.
For example make it so the entire cluster fades from blue to red as revs approach 8.5k rpm, then the entire cluster flashes red at 8.5k rpm+ as shift light. Fuel getting low, or temp high? only that section flashes/changes color.

The real kicker would be having a sweet android/ios app which lets the user customize each section of the cluster and conditions like change color with speed/rpms/etc.

THIS would take some serious engineering, you'd have to capture and process each raw signal on the non-canbus cars, but I think its something that could be prototyped on a Arduino and made a reality with enough time and effort.

Last edited by mikeyds; 05-09-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KaizenKody
I'm not sure I am following what you are asking for?
A plug and play LED driver box that replaces the old MacGyver digital or analog windscreen control boxes:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ctions-296024/
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...-120661/page2/

These turned white for reverse, red for brake, dimmed, and had the option to change to almost any color you could imagine. Unfortunately, over the last 16 years, I'm sure that many of these driver boxes have died.

Tim
Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Very cool!

I would like something that would electronically sense if the shift knob is in neutral so it will allow you to press start button. If not in neutral prevent any press start. This will help prevent any crank walk that we have been hearing about and we can disable the pedal clutch switch.

Maybe it has been done already, but thought I would ask

Originally Posted by KaizenKody
Hey there S2KI!

I am looking to do some modifications electrically to the S2000. Previous projects I have always shared my designs, modifications, and even released kits in some instances.

What are some modifications/"creature comforts" you are looking for with your rides? I am not looking to sell anything right now, just wanting to get some feedback of what could make the AP1's or AP2's better, more friendly, or just overall cooler!

Right now I have a few things on my list to investigate:
Full push button start (no key), with remote sensing for security.
Automatic Lamp Lights (Creature Comfort!)
Custom Cluster Board
Collision detection (beep beep, you are about to hit something in your peripherals!)

No matter what ideas you have, throw them out, and they could be more viable than you know! I have access to laser cutters, milling, and PCB manufacturing. Benefits of being a geek i guess!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Thats a bit complicated. What is much easier is to make sure brake is applied. You just wire in a diode to brake switch, and wire it to clutch bypass, instead of simply jumping it.

What this does is fake car into only starting if brake is pressed. You can still accidentally try to start car while in gear, but with foot on brake, it will prevent car from moving.

Even if someone else is driving, and they barely hit brake, the instant car starts to move learned response will cause subconscious to mash brake harder, and release button. Result car barely moves, driver realizes they need to put into neutral.

Maybe we can get KonstantlyImprovingKody to make a diagram and suggest a diode to use.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Not liking the idea you have to put handbrakes up to start which is a normal procedure for me when starting. However with all the years of driving I still manage to stall the car and remembering to put brakes up to restart could be a problem, not a deal breaker but its something I am not used to after a stall.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Thats a bit complicated. What is much easier is to make sure brake is applied. You just wire in a diode to brake switch, and wire it to clutch bypass, instead of simply jumping it.

What this does is fake car into only starting if brake is pressed. You can still accidentally try to start car while in gear, but with foot on brake, it will prevent car from moving.

Even if someone else is driving, and they barely hit brake, the instant car starts to move learned response will cause subconscious to mash brake harder, and release button. Result car barely moves, driver realizes they need to put into neutral.

Maybe we can get KonstantlyImprovingKody to make a diagram and suggest a diode to use.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 PM

I do not think its that complicated. Probably more mechanical than electronic device. We only need two switches sensing for gear shift forward 1-3-5 or gear shift backwards 2-4-6-R, the gear shift being left or right should not matter.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just put a paper clip in the clutch switch connector and be done with it.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by vicrc
Not liking the idea you have to put handbrakes up to start which is a normal procedure for me when starting. However with all the years of driving I still manage to stall the car and remembering to put brakes up to restart could be a problem, not a deal breaker but its something I am not used to after a stall.
No, not the handbrake, the brake pedal...