S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
A friend sent me that link. I was curious about whose car it was, since there were some glaring errors in the article. The thing that is most bothersome about it is that ALL of the references they make about the damper adjustments are completely wrong. The dampers should be adjusted some number of clicks from full stiff, not from full soft. Therefore, all of their references to damper settings are completely backwards from what they should be. I've had my front dampers set at 8 clicks (from full stiff) in the front, and 10 clicks in the rear. This has provided excellent handling AND ride quality.

BTW, I just had an awesome day at my first autocross with these coilovers! I will post more about it tomorrow, but the short story is that I got FTD (fastest time of the day) by 1.49 seconds! The last time I got FTD at an autocross was 2003!
Good job man!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I added a detailed review with videos from yesterday's autocross in post #2!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i missed it somewhere if you mentioned it, but what was your old set up??? the ohlins def. appear to allow the tires to do more work than the driver which is what high end suspension should do
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
i missed it somewhere if you mentioned it, but what was your old set up??? the ohlins def. appear to allow the tires to do more work than the driver which is what high end suspension should do
I probably should have mentioned it again, but I described my previous setup in the 1st sentence of the 1st post. It was Koni Yellows with Koni upper and lower spring perches and Eibach racing coilover springs (500# front / 450# rear). Basically, the ride height was identical, and the spring rates were very similar to what I have now. I now have slightly stiffer springs in the front and much better shocks.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM

I'm tearing my car apart tomorrow and mirroring your specs on my ohlins. The preload is all jacked up so hopefully your settings at least give me a good base to start dialing them in.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Former Sponsor

No need to tear the care apart! You can adjust everything without uninstalling them. Here is what I would do to get them set correctly:

1) Loosen the spring perches, and remove all the preload from the springs (making them totally loose)
2) Tighten the spring perches again
3) Loosen the lock nut at the shock base, so you can adjust the damper height
4) Screw the damper in or out of the base using the tightened spring perches until they are at the right length
5) Tighten the lock nut
6) Loosen the spring perches
7) Adjust the lower perch upward until you achieve the right preload
8) Tighten the spring perches.
The following users liked this post:
ragtophardtop (12-24-2023)
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Gernby, thank you for your business and this thread.

I went from Moton ClubSports ($5K) to Ohlins DFVs and had a similar experience to gernby. Softer on the street, more car control at high speed. It really boils down to 2 things. The temperature sensitive slow speed damping valve that provides consistent damping when cold and hot. Second, the Dual Flow Valve that is a 3rd path, super high speed valve that keeps the car settled over high speed bumps. You really have to take a ride to feel it. Please visit our site for details on both. Ohlins DFVs

If you scroll to the bottom, you can see numerous reviews about the DFVs. You cant find a negative review about them and no one can believe how good they were at both street and track. Ohlins did a great job tuning the DFVs valves and springs for each application. Please take a few minutes to read all reviews.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gernby
No need to tear the care apart! You can adjust everything without uninstalling them. Here is what I would do to get them set correctly:

1) Loosen the spring perches, and remove all the preload from the springs (making them totally loose)
2) Tighten the spring perches again
3) Loosen the lock nut at the shock base, so you can adjust the damper height
4) Screw the damper in or out of the base using the tightened spring perches until they are at the right length
5) Tighten the lock nut
6) Loosen the spring perches
7) Adjust the lower perch upward until you achieve the right preload
8) Tighten the spring perches.
sorry I didn't check back on this sooner. I did what you just listed without reading your post

Since I have the oldschool DFV's and not the R&T ones my measurements were slightly different (within 1/2") as I was restricted by the design. I'm happy with the ride now and it feels much more planted, sadly for the preloads to be spot on I have the car about 3/4" higher than I would like.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urge
Gernby, thank you for your business and this thread.

I went from Moton ClubSports ($5K) to Ohlins DFVs and had a similar experience to gernby. Softer on the street, more car control at high speed. It really boils down to 2 things. The temperature sensitive slow speed damping valve that provides consistent damping when cold and hot. Second, the Dual Flow Valve that is a 3rd path, super high speed valve that keeps the car settled over high speed bumps. You really have to take a ride to feel it. Please visit our site for details on both. Ohlins DFVs

If you scroll to the bottom, you can see numerous reviews about the DFVs. You cant find a negative review about them and no one can believe how good they were at both street and track. Ohlins did a great job tuning the DFVs valves and springs for each application. Please take a few minutes to read all reviews.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Any updates on track review?

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit