S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Your Handling Setup

Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos' timestamp='1422550177' post='23486137
2000 AP1
255 square setup
Proxes R888
BC racing BR type coilovers 10k F/R
cusco cf strut bar (doesn't do anything though)

other than that it's stock.

haven't gotten to try out the non-staggered setup yet, but I didn't like the way I had to fight it to oversteer with the staggered setup.
If anything your oversteer is going to be worse. Factory '00-01 has the stiffest rear sway of all years and that is most likely is what is making it feel more oversteer-prone. Though your alignment settings could be assisting in that department.
wow my bad I meant understeer.
It was understeering like a pig with the stock specs.

so I switched to the AP2v2 wheels, I had a feeling it would make the understeer worse, but I didn't want to just jump into a square setup, tested it for a bit, but it just got worse (255F 215R) like I expected, so I bought ap2v1 wheels 255 square. I like the idea of keeping everything equal F/R especially when the weight distribution is 50/50. That way it's just got very natural movement.

Also, I keep getting crap for saying that it understeers, and just to clear that up, it's not like it wasn't oversteering at all. the issue is that I have to kind of fight it to oversteer, like snap the wheel in before the apex or hammer the throttle early or something. My personal ideal setup is when the car does a 4 wheel glide out on corner exit, especially in low-speed corners. just like a natural loss of grip instead of me having to dick it to get the rear to come loose.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos
Originally Posted by Fokker' timestamp='1422552244' post='23486179
[quote name='A. Dos Santos' timestamp='1422550177' post='23486137']
2000 AP1
255 square setup
Proxes R888
BC racing BR type coilovers 10k F/R
cusco cf strut bar (doesn't do anything though)

other than that it's stock.

haven't gotten to try out the non-staggered setup yet, but I didn't like the way I had to fight it to oversteer with the staggered setup.
If anything your oversteer is going to be worse. Factory '00-01 has the stiffest rear sway of all years and that is most likely is what is making it feel more oversteer-prone. Though your alignment settings could be assisting in that department.
wow my bad I meant understeer.
It was understeering like a pig with the stock specs.

so I switched to the AP2v2 wheels, I had a feeling it would make the understeer worse, but I didn't want to just jump into a square setup, tested it for a bit, but it just got worse (255F 215R) like I expected, so I bought ap2v1 wheels 255 square. I like the idea of keeping everything equal F/R especially when the weight distribution is 50/50. That way it's just got very natural movement.

Also, I keep getting crap for saying that it understeers, and just to clear that up, it's not like it wasn't oversteering at all. the issue is that I have to kind of fight it to oversteer, like snap the wheel in before the apex or hammer the throttle early or something. My personal ideal setup is when the car does a 4 wheel glide out on corner exit, especially in low-speed corners. just like a natural loss of grip instead of me having to dick it to get the rear to come loose.
[/quote]

If you have understeer with an AP1, something may be wrong with your alignment. A square setup works with staggered spring rates. My KW V3's stock 500lb springs were a little wild with 255's non staggered. I went to a 670/570 spring combination and it curbed a lot of the oversteer.

A square setup by itself won't yield neutral handling.

It's strange you are getting understeer.

Here's my AP1 a few years ago with 225/45/17 front and 265/40/17 rear. KW factory 500lb springs all around. KW factory damper settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FX5Y7Cz95Y. Granted...I'm definitely screwing around and trying to get it to slide. But the car didn't need much convincing. I have to drive it more carefully with a non-stagger tire setup. But overall it is faster with 255's all around.

Same track, same car...non staggered tire setup and staggered springrate setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4z48vXTmcv
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car right out of the box is a great handling car. I'll suggest what I'm sure everyone can agree on (pads rotors lines and fluid, tires, properly setup ride height and alignment). I've onky tracked my S once since ownership this past summer, other then a fresh set of pads rotors lines and fluid, and AP2 struts with skunk 2 lowering springs my car is stock. The alignment was terrible as far as camber is concerned (seized adjustments that I will be correcting this season) but driver mod is by far one of the most important things here. You can't compare how your Miata felt because they are two compltely different platforms. My impressions of the car were pretty good, tons of body roll (which doesnt define a BAD handling) but very nimble and responsive in tight corners. I was only running street tires (hankook v12 225/255) so what felt like under steer is actually lack of grip so when I pushed it harder and harder the car would go from what felt like under steer (basically skidding around a turn) To the ass kicking out. When I put a good set of squared rubber and coil overs oversteer will be more evident and that can then determine how much the front end is pushing in a corner and help me choose which sway bar setup I want to go with which is what I believe should be last in order of things to do. Get more seat time, time yourself and see what needs adjusting instead of throwing parts at the car. Get the heigh and alignment adjusted by someone who knows what their doing and good back and compare.