S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP2 Rack into an AP1....?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AP2 Rack into an AP1....?

Hey guys!

just got myself an MY00 AP1 S2, really love the motor...certainly a damn handful!

however there is one thing really bugging me...

this is my first precision RWD motor and I'm currently finding the front-end steering TOO twitchy above approx 50mph.

I know the AP1 rack is set for sharp turn-in but the early racks were apparantly not that fantastic and didn't offer the best feel. round a corner she feels great but in a straight line, too twitchy but with a "numb" centre line, bring the speed down and everything feels fantastic.

the AP2 racks were redesigned with the longer ratio and apparantly better steering feel due to redesigned software on the steering ECU.

my question is... can the AP2 rack be swapped into my AP1 along with the later steering ECU so I can achieve that better steering feel?

Now i know you will all say that i am a fool and will lose the sharp turn-in but i would rather trade that off for a more stable and comfortable car that i can drive for 12months and learn exactly how it works, without writing it off.

once im used to the RWD i would intend to re-fit the AP1 rack.

currently running toyo T1-R's, 16" wheels and standard everything else.

all opinions appreciated on this guys.

thanks.

matt.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt know there was an ECU to the steering?

You could swap out the steering rack, but you mentioned you will switch back to the ap1 eventually. That would take double getting used to, instead of just doing it once. Keep it, and just practice making small, and very smooth, steering inputs. If you can, remember to pull down on the wheel, instead of pushing up, for better steering feel.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM

thanks for the reply Fluky,

the steering rack does indeed have it's own control unit, this contains all the software and algorithms for the EPS motor on the steering rack.

if you were to just replace the rack with an AP2 unit then you would have the slower turning ratio but without the reprogramming of system which AFAIK provides a better feel/feedback.

It's more of the "feel" i want from the steering. many have commented that the EPS feels "numb" at higher speeds, this is the same in my AP1. anything below 50-70mph the steering feels lovely, as soon as you pick up the speeds on straight roads the steering wheels centre-point just loses feeling, making the front end "feel" light and unplanted. bring the speeds down and everything is awesome.

This was a very similar situation on my 94 Prelude 2.2VTEC, it had speed-sensitive power steering being monitored from the speedo driven gear on the gearbox and controlled via the PAS hydraulic fluid. except with the prelude at lower speeds the steering felt TOO light and at higher speeds not quite heavy enough.

i intend to adjust the tyre pressures, i'm currently running 32psi all-round on the UK roads but tomorrow i'll be upping the front wheels to 34psi to see if i can enhance the front end feel and reduce the rear end twitchiness.

p.s. the car was fully laser aligned 2 weeks ago, the week after that a set of T1-R's fitted with the upgrade to 245's on the rear.

cheers guys.

matt.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000's just don't have great steering feel, thanks to the EPS. If it's that important to you, get a Porsche or even a Miata.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 AM

You could just pull the eps fuse and get rid of the power steering. Someone on here did that not too long ago and seem to like it.