S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Colgan Car Bra

Old 06-21-2004, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colgan Car Bra

I just got a new Colgan Bra for my S for Father's Day. I have a few questions: Is the hood hard to close? It was for me. Will it fade the paint if you leave it on your car all the time? I think it makes the car look awsome. What do you think?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:04 PM

lets see some pics!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Yes, the hood is difficult to close. Be careful not to bend the aluminum hood. I just kept dropping the hood from a little higher to get it to close.

2. I don't really like the look of the car with the bra on, but it does offer protection. I don't think it would cause any fading.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by s2ka
1. Yes, the hood is difficult to close. Be careful not to bend the aluminum hood. I just kept dropping the hood from a little higher to get it to close.

2. I don't really like the look of the car with the bra on, but it does offer protection. I don't think it would cause any fading.
I have the full colgan bra as well. Very effective against rock chips. However I only use it for long cruises or canyon runs. I would not suggest leaving it on for long period of time straight b/c during the summer sun, it will eventually cause uneven fading. So use it when you think it's wise.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:05 AM

I have the Colgan as well. No I don't like the look of it on the car (takes away the sleek nose) but I am happy to have it on road trips (whenever I don't use it I always come home with a new little nick).

The darker your car the more noticable the fading will be, it's actually the rest of your car fading and the area under the bra NOT fading. More than that I would be concerned with the affect, that little bits of dirt/sand from driving will have as they get caught at the edges of the bra and begin to sand your paint there (if you leave it on for long times). Finally you really should try to keep the bra off the car if it's raining, a rain storm on the highway is fine, but having the car sit and get drenched, filling it up with water could lead to bad things.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the Colgan, nicest aftermarket bra I've ever owned and I look forward to taking it out of the box when I know I'll be going on a drive for any extended length of time (especially on the highway) but be aware it can have downsides.

Happy Father's Day by the way , Travis
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I also have the Colgan bra. I love it. Only purchased it for Looong "Road Trips" and expressway driving.It really protects the front of the "S" I never leave it on the car for long periods of time!! I beleive it states that in the installation manual. I also have the mirror protectors. Another great investment. Seemed a bit "Cumbersome" to install, the first time,however now it takes less than two minutes. As for closing the hood, well, I have to be very careful with that part. No matter how high I have tried to drop the hood, it doesn't close! If you press gently, and firm, with the heel of your hand, it will lock. I think you will be happy with the bra. Very good Father's Day present. (keep it clean & use 303 on the vinyl) It will stay looking new!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM

Another satisifed colgan bra owner here.
You do have to let the hood drop from 3-4 feet high and the hood will close, otherwise it "bounces" off.
I would not recommned pushing on the hood itself.
The outside mirror "mini bras" are also worth buying to keep the car's frontal area looking perfect.
I also use it only for extended road trips with no threat of rain.
Monitor for possible flapping at speeds >100 mph (Flapping is BAD for the paint)
Old 06-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Unfortunately, they do not have a bra yet for the '04 according to their rep. I love nose masks, especially during autocrosses...cone marks are hard to remove.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you guys get any flapping with the Colgan starting around 80 mph? I figured that flapping against the paint (around the headlights if I remember correctly) would end up scratching the paint all to hell. I threw mine in the trash - it's the highway I wanted it for, and it was the highway where it wasn't usable; I don't drive under 80 on highways, usually cruise around 85-90.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vjarnot
Don't you guys get any flapping with the Colgan starting around 80 mph?